GNU software installation on Linux? How?

GNU software installation on Linux? How?

Post by Afzal Sayy » Fri, 02 Sep 1994 04:49:17

I've very recently installed Linux and am lost as to how Linux uses the disk drives and how software (GNU) packages are installed?  Right now, I have dloaded some packages (emacs, gcc 2.6.0, and glib 2.6.0) onto my DOS harddrive partition.  Now how does one go about installing these into the linux partition?

Any help or atleast a pointer to some faq would greatly be appreciated.

Afzal Sayyad