random crashes under 1.1.23

Post by Steve Greatban » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 22:32:13

Hi,

  I am having real troubles with my Linux box which has started to
crash for no apparent reason.  Before I go any further, my setup is
as follows:

(i)    Gateway 2000 i486-DX2 50 with a PCI bus
(ii)   1.1.23 kernel ( at present )
(iii)  latest versions of bdflush, ld.so,
(iv)   recent gcc and g++ compilers and libc
(v)    XFree86 2.1.1 using the mach32 driver

There does not seem to be any consistent reason as to why the machine
is crashing.  The problem seemed to start after I upgraded from 1.1.0
to 1.1.23 - I got some kernel warnings about bdflush not running so I
got the latest version and all seemed well ( no other kernel warnings ).
This is all rather vague, but I'm totally stumped myself so no flames
please.  Could anybody suggest ANYTHING I could do to get a better idea
about what is going wrong - additional diagnostics etc etc.  My system
was very stable indeed around 1.1.0 ( never crashed at all with the stuff
I use ) and I am getting really pissed off with it at present.

Any help or suggestions are most welcome.

1. "rdev -R /dev/fd0 1" ruins 1.1.23 zdisk

I can "make zdisk" using the 1.1.23 sources, and boot from the zdisk just fine.
But after issuing "rdev -R /dev/fd0 1" the boot disk is no longer usable. I've
tried it four times; once, trying to boot zdisk after "rdev ..." I got garbage
(actually 9 A umlauts) then nothing; the other three times I got a "not boot
disk" message.

Does anyone know what's going on? Will it do the same thing to a zImage (that
wouldn't be very nice)?

Respectfully ...

------------------------
Vince Fatica
S.U. Math

2. Clie 760C in Linux

3. SCSI Cluster patches in 1.1.23?

4. ipchains is sloooow and drops connections...

5. mtools problem with 1.1.23

6. can't log in via telnet

7. X slows down with 1.1.23

8. COFF Magic Numbers?

9. Modutils w/ 1.1.23

10. Terminal problems running under Linux 1.1.23

11. 1.1.23 breaks floppy

12. NCSA httpd 1.3 & Linux 1.1.23, fork+timeout

13. Trouble building kernel 1.1.23+