tar responds cannot open /dev/rmt8

Post by CLEMMONS, LAURA » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 00:32:18

Every time i use the command tar -x <filename> I get the response
cannot open /dev/rmt8

I am using the yggdrasil fall 94 release with a cd_dependent
find an archive of this newsgroup at any of the major ftp sites.
I would appreciate some patient person telling me whats going on here.
Laura
installation.  I've seen this question on here before but couldn't

tar responds cannot open /dev/rmt8

Post by evere.. » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 06:14:40

Quote:> Every time i use the command tar -x <filename> I get the response
> cannot open /dev/rmt8

You didn't tell tar where to x-tract from.  Use the -f flag (see man pages).
If not specified, the default tar input device is /dev/rmt8 (inherited from
UNIX ancestors of Linux) and very few of us have one of these  8-].

Tim Everett
Trend Consulting Services, Inc.

1. tar error: cannot open /dev/nst0

Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get

cannot open /dev/nst0...device not installed

I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
need to do install it?

Valerie

2. plfs 1.1

3. OSR5.0.5 - tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0

4. . Mouse & X prob

5. Help with tar: Cannot open /dev/st0: Read-only file system

6. Can a linux kernel be compiled under win95?

7. Cannot open /dev/rmt/0un (or any other /dev/rmt/??n)

8. Disk Arrays under Linux

9. kermit cannot open /dev/tty, /dev/cua1?

10. cannot open /dev/mem: too many open files??

11. RH5.2 Oops del /dev/rmt8<newbie>

12. tar: can't open /dev/rmt0 ???

13. tar: can't open /dev/nts0 : no such device