How to be constantly hooked up to Internet.

How to be constantly hooked up to Internet.

Post by EHip » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:35:01

Being a neophyte at this.  I am wondering how to be part of the internet
community on a constant basis.

I presume the first step is to get a TCP/IP address for my machine.
What are the next steps?

Thanks,
Jerry

Post by curt willia » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 11:53:11

>I presume the first step is to get a TCP/IP address for my machine.
>What are the next steps?

Unless you have a lot of money for initial setup and monthly line charges,
you'll want a dial-up SLIP or PPP account with one of your local internet
service providers.

For purposes of this discussion, a lot of money means $15-20K.
Even fractional lines aren't cheap :-)

Post by Viktor T. To » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 09:15:08

>Being a neophyte at this.  I am wondering how to be part of the internet
>community on a constant basis.

Hmmm, what exactly do you mean 'constantly'? If you mean to be connected 24
hours a day, that can be a rather costly exercise; you would need a dedicated
service, which might cost several hundred dollars a month even if using a
telephone line as your physical connection.

There are cheaper alternatives, which use TCP/IP over a telephone line (e.g.,
SLIP) where you are connected only for the duration of whatever it is you are
doing (e.g., an ftp, telnet, or Mosaic session). There are several service
provider companies that offer this kind of service; any decent Internet
directory should list a few in your area.

Getting a TCP/IP address is the least of your concerns; most likely, the
service provider company will assign you one when the time comes. They should
also be able to help you through the process of setting up your site.

Viktor

Post by Dan Newcom » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 18:23:22

>Being a neophyte at this.  I am wondering how to be part of the internet
>community on a constant basis.

What do you mean "constantly"?  I am assuming that the situation is:
You have a maching at home with a modem.  You are sick of paying online
charges to AOL.  You would like to do stuff like telnet, ftp, etc... from your
home PC.

Quote:>I presume the first step is to get a TCP/IP address for my machine.
>What are the next steps?

Depending on how you go, chances are the TCP/IP address will be given to you.
There are three ways that come to mind:
        1) Dialup access.  This is basically what you have with AOL (monthly fee,
plus per hour connect fee's)  I assume you don't want this.
        2) SLIP/PPP:  This uses your modem and phone line to act as an internet
connection.  Basically, your PC dials up to a modem on the remote end which is
really hooked up to the Internet (probably via ethernet).  You then use that
remote site as a way of passing you IP packets onto the net.
        These usually run around $100 a month.  The reason they are so high is
because on the other end, there is usually some dedicated hardware just for
you to connect to.  I've seen some for about $25 a month, but then you have to
pay a per hour fee.  The $100 a month are usually a flat monthly fee.  You may
want to shop around to see what you can find (as for price, baud rate,
availiablitiy, etc...)
        3) The expensive method.  Plop down $20,000+ for a dedicated connection into
your house - like the colleges, etc... have.

Of course, then you have to look at side costs.  If you want a connection that
is 100% active, there is the power for running your PC all that time, plus
you'd probably need a second phone line too.  Especially if you have *age
kids :)

        -Dan

--

Clayton State College           Morrow, Georgia
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Post by Jae W. Chan » Wed, 24 Aug 1994 00:34:46

> Being a neophyte at this.  I am wondering how to be part of the internet
> community on a constant basis.

> I presume the first step is to get a TCP/IP address for my machine.
> What are the next steps?

Being a neophyte, check out a little book that gives a nice little
marketing view point of connecting to the internet. In fact, it's
titled "Connecting to the Internet" by Susan Estrada pub by O'Reilly &
Associates.

Basically, it'll give you a sample of what's available out there -
everything from SMDS T1 leased lines to a simple dialup over SLIP or
PPP - and what's right for you.

Jae

--------------------------

Post by Brandon Van eve » Wed, 24 Aug 1994 11:08:43

>>Being a neophyte at this.  I am wondering how to be part of the internet
>>community on a constant basis.

If you are truly a neophyte, I do ***NOT*** recommend getting a SLIP or PPP
account to directly connect your Linux box to the internet.  It takes a
***substantial*** amount of work to get TCP/IP, Mail, News, and POP to work
with a SLIP/PPP setup.  I am a very experienced Linux hacker, and it has taken
me about a month to do it.  I had to read tons and tons of docs and hack up
some custom Perl scripts to do it "right."

If you are truly a neophyte, you won't even be able to do it.  Nor will any of
your SLIP providers be likely to be able to help you.  They can help you with
DOS, or MS-Windows, or Macs, which is what they expect most consumers to have.
The only help you're likely to get is from this newsgroup.

I would strongly suggest that you get a UNIX shell account instead, and use
some modem program to connect.  Then the _providers_ get to worry about
whether e-mail, Usenet, FTP, etc. works, not you.  You will also find that
at least for reading the Usenet News, a remote account is more efficient than
any newsreader on your local machine.  You just don't have to wait as long
for things to happen.

Hope this helps,
Brandon

--
Brandon J. Van Every                 |          ****** VR Net ******
Computer Graphics Software Developer |

How to be constantly hooked up to Internet.

Post by <U62.. » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 12:31:58

Hi every one
I have a problem instaling Linux on my system (GW2000 P90 17" 1776LE).
I just installed second drive (730 Mb Western Digital) as master and my old one
 as slave (540Mb Conner). My intention is to use 703 Mb for Dos and MS-Windows
I currently have Slackware 2.0 (according to my school posting). I copy them
using utility makeflop. The boot disk is modern. The second drive I want to
use for Linux (540Mb). After booting at boot:  prompt i had to types
remdisk hd=1416,16,63 hd=1048,16,63 becouse without that my fdisk could
not recognise eather hda nor hdb. So after the root disk I logon as root.
using fdisk I created hdb1 (for Linux) and hdb2 (Linux swap).
After saving it to disk, I used makeswap and swapon.
There is only one thing I forgot to mention and I think is very important later
When I used fdisk /dev/hda (just to see it) after hiting p I saw
Device   boot     begin   start    end      blocks    Id     system
/dev/hda1  *        1       1      1414     712624+    6    DOS 16-bit >=32
Partition 1 has different physical/logical ending
          phys(706,31,63)    logical(1413,15,63)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundry
          phys(706,31,63)    should be(706,15,63)
This is exect out put off screan
But /dev/hdb has no massages like that.
So again after swapon I went to setup.
After that I installes only A disks just to see if is working.
Then I been asked to make boot flopy. So I did.
After that modem,font,mouse etc. and LILO.
I instaled LILO to MBR or MSR I cant realy remember now but it was a boot
sector on /dev/hda1 (or c:\). In the lilo.conf dos was before linux with
delay set to 50.
Now after I tryed to reboot from HD the system Freezed on me right after
LI  and nothing else. I tryed to boot again from floppy.
It stared to boot but could not find hdb. here are aome things I got off
screen.
MSDOS bread faild
Hard Disk I/O ERROR
hd.c:ST-506 interface with no more then 16 heads detected probobly due
non-standard section translation. Giving up
  (disk 1 cyl=524, sec=63, head=32)
hd.c:ST-506 ........ Same stuff ......
  (disk 0 cyl=708, sec=63, head=32)
unable to read superblock
kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount Root
If any of you know how to fix this up please send me E-mail to

I have to get this thing running A.S.A.P. School already started!!!!!
Thanx again for any feed back
If any additial info required send E-mail

Post by Bill H » Mon, 05 Sep 1994 01:15:18

> >>Being a neophyte at this.  I am wondering how to be part of the internet
> >>community on a constant basis.
> If you are truly a neophyte, I do ***NOT*** recommend getting a SLIP or PPP
> account to directly connect your Linux box to the internet.  It takes a
> ***substantial*** amount of work to get TCP/IP, Mail, News, and POP to work
> with a SLIP/PPP setup.  I am a very experienced Linux hacker, and it has taken
> me about a month to do it.  I had to read tons and tons of docs and hack up
> some custom Perl scripts to do it "right."
> If you are truly a neophyte, you won't even be able to do it.  Nor will any of
> your SLIP providers be likely to be able to help you.  They can help you with
> DOS, or MS-Windows, or Macs, which is what they expect most consumers to have.
> The only help you're likely to get is from this newsgroup.

I don't know about that one of the first things I did with my linux box was
connect up to my IP provider.  They had a very nice package available on
their ftp site with help on configuring C-News/slurp dip ,smail etc.

--
Bill Hay

How to be constantly hooked up to Internet.

Post by David S Le » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 04:09:01

Re:     problems installing slakware dist. of Linux on
                Gateway Pentium 90
                1GB Western Digital IDE HD 16MB RAM

HD Partitioning:
presently exists as     #1:  128MB DOS formatted w/DOS fdisk
                        #2:  remaining cylinders up to 1024 linux native
                        (am not presently using swap partition)
                             formatted w/linux fdisk
Symptoms/Failure Modes:
1) upon running linux fdisk to create partition #2 (linux native), I
        am immediately given "logical/physical start cylinders for
        partition #1 not the same" error.  I have read M.W.'s linux FAQ
        (Quest. #7.2 and 7.1), but don't feel they apply.  I did not
        create DOS partition #1 w/ linux fdisk.  Is this terminal, and
        if so, is there a fix?
2) assuming it was not terminal i continued w/the installation...
        booting the "bare" disk, I was required to enter specific
        ramdisk settings at prompt (or else it wouldn't see me my HD).
        I used my CMOS setting from factory:  ramdisk hd=2100,16,63.
        At this pt I've told linux I have a 1GB drive.  Is this the
        source of my next problem?...

        running setup I immediately get "hard drive has >1024cylinders.
        some software may not work" error.  setup either is stupid
        or does not consider it terminal because it allows me to
        continue.  Note that I am aware of the 1024cylinder limitation
        and have allocated linux native partition to be ENTIRELY
        within 1024cylinder limit.
3) installation then procedes properly.  Upon booting from the new
        boot disk, it crashes with "hd.c: ### interface. too many
        heads detected.  probably
        due to nontranslatable sector" error.  other errors follow
        towards...can't boot kernel.

I have read several help FAQs which treat these problems independently,
but i'm not quite sure they are relevant.  any help would be appreciated.

   linux newbie,

        Dept. of Applied Physics, Columbia Univ.