new kernel fails to mount filesystems

Post by miko-ri.. » Thu, 23 May 2002 13:10:27

What could cause a newly compiled kernel to not find any file system
besides /hda ?
I just did an update from SuSE 6.4 to 7.3. The machine boots just fine with
the SuSE kernel (2.4.10). I grabbed the sources for 2.4.18, as that's what
I'm runing on other machines and compiled/installed.
It's a procedure that I've done maybe 5 or 6 times.

The new kernel fails during boot because it doesn't seem to be able to find
any partition besides /dev/hda
Swap activation fails, I can't find any of the /dev/hda?.
If I reboot the old kernel no problem, all the /dev/hda? partitions
are there.
If I do mount, it shows
/dev/hda1 mounted on / type ext2 (rw)

But if I do "ls /dev/hda1" I can't find it.
And if I do "mount -a"  it gives me an error message for each entry in
my fstab file:
mount: special device /dev/hda<x> does not exist
(where x is 2..10)

Any suggestion ?

thanks,

-- Miko

new kernel fails to mount filesystems

Post by BlUz » Fri, 24 May 2002 09:49:59

Is it possble that your running a file system that's not compiled into
the new kernel? ext3, reiserfs, etc

Post by frank barne » Fri, 24 May 2002 10:14:26

> What could cause a newly compiled kernel to not find any file system
> besides /hda ?
> I just did an update from SuSE 6.4 to 7.3. The machine boots just fine with
> the SuSE kernel (2.4.10). I grabbed the sources for 2.4.18, as that's what
> I'm runing on other machines and compiled/installed.
> It's a procedure that I've done maybe 5 or 6 times.

> The new kernel fails during boot because it doesn't seem to be able to find
> any partition besides /dev/hda
> Swap activation fails, I can't find any of the /dev/hda?.
> If I reboot the old kernel no problem, all the /dev/hda? partitions
> are there.
> If I do mount, it shows
> /dev/hda1 mounted on / type ext2 (rw)

The most likely cause is that you have omitted something while you were
configuring
the kernel. Is hda a regular ide drive or is it scsi?

Check your settings under 'IDE.ATA ans ATAPI Block Devices'

Quote:

> But if I do "ls /dev/hda1" I can't find it.
> And if I do "mount -a"  it gives me an error message for each entry in
> my fstab file:
> mount: special device /dev/hda<x> does not exist
> (where x is 2..10)

"ls /dev/hda1" will list the device table entries and not the device it's
self. If this is
absent there is a problem, however since you can boot from a previous kernel
this would not seem to be the case. If there is a problem here check out
MAKEDEV.

I would:

1) (double) check that the kernel configuration is good.
2) check the messages regarding the disk when you boot up
3) check the lilo configuration
and if this does not turn up anything,
4) post the relevent stuff from your boot message

-Frank

new kernel fails to mount filesystems

Post by miko-ri.. » Fri, 24 May 2002 23:09:49

Quote:> The most likely cause is that you have omitted something while you were
> configuring
> the kernel. Is hda a regular ide drive or is it scsi?

It is a regular IDE. The only obvious difference that I can find is in the
VP_IDE stuff:

2.4.10 (the SuSE kernel that boots correctly ) gives me
Partition check:
hda: [EZD] [remap 0->1] [2096/255/63] hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <hda5 hda6 hda7
                                                           hda8 hda9 hda10>

Whereas the 2.4.18 broken kernel gives ne

Partition check:
/dev/ide/hosts/bus0/target0/lun0: [EZD]
[remap 0->1] [2096/255/63] p1 p2 p3 p4 <p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 p10>

-- Miko

new kernel fails to mount filesystems

Post by miko-ri.. » Fri, 24 May 2002 23:31:58

Quote:> Partition check:
> /dev/ide/hosts/bus0/target0/lun0: [EZD]

Got it: I turned off /dev file system support and everything is fine.

-- Miko

1. digital unix failed to mount linux 2.2.x kernel nfsd exported filesystem

nfs server: RedHat 6.0, stock kernel
nfs client: Digital UNIX 4.0B

mount  error:

[nfs_client]:/root/# mount nfs_server:/cvsroot        /cvs-backup
NFS3 RFS3_FSINFO failed for server nfs_server : RPC: Program/version
mismatch
nfs_server on /cvs-backup: I/O error

nfs mount on DU tries to communicate with the remote nfsd
via version 3 of nfs, and if fails, falls back to version 2.
apparently, in the kernel nfsd implementation of v.2.2.x
there is a problem with the fallback mode?

the solution is to add vers=2 or nfsv2 options to mount

the original setup worked with RH 5.2 and user-space nfsd

2. lt_modem modules

3. New kernel hangs mounting local filesystems

4. Storm Linux Installation Problem

5. why do i get "mounting filesystems failed" during boot?

6. Cron generated message under Linux Mandrake-6.1

7. booted from cdrom and mounting filesystems fails

8. ppp-disconnect script fails.

9. install red hat 5.1 mounting/proc filesystem failed

10. Failure during Autoboot RH5.1 - Mounting /proc filesystem failed

11. Fails: mounting Linux filesystem from ISC 3.0/4.0 via NFS

12. pwd fails on NFS mounted filesystems

13. Kernel Panic: Can't mount root - after building new kernel