Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Andy Procto » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:23:56

TIA for any help on this one.

I'm running suse 8.0 and have recently installed ximian evolution. A great
product! However I currently have only two user accounts set up on the
linus box, one for me, one for the wife. I currently use kmail and have a
symbolic link from her mail directory to mine, so that both of us can see
and get mail from the one address we have at the isp.

I tried the same trick with evolution however it doesnt like it at
all..keeps asking for the directories/files for the user to be set up.

So is there any way I can set this up using evolution please? All I need is
for both users to have full access to the mail, regardless of who is logged
on.

Cheers

Andy

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Mike Deskevi » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:19:45

> TIA for any help on this one.

> I'm running suse 8.0 and have recently installed ximian evolution. A great
> product! However I currently have only two user accounts set up on the
> linus box, one for me, one for the wife. I currently use kmail and have a
> symbolic link from her mail directory to mine, so that both of us can see
> and get mail from the one address we have at the isp.

> I tried the same trick with evolution however it doesnt like it at
> all..keeps asking for the directories/files for the user to be set up.

> So is there any way I can set this up using evolution please? All I need is
> for both users to have full access to the mail, regardless of who is logged
> on.

> Cheers

> Andy

andy, here's how evolution is set up on my machine (i did the default
install so it's probably like yours):  in my home directory there's a
evolution directory.  inside that directory, there's a mail directory.
 so my guess would be to set up evolution on your account and then
create a symbolic link in your wife's directory to the evolution
directory in your home directory.

one other solution that i think might even make you're life alot
easier: set up an imap server on your linux box. (real easy, just make
sure imap is installed and set it to start up on boot).  then set up
evolution in you're directory to connect to the imap server.  you can
do this separately for each account (your's and your wifes).  with
imap (unlike pop) you can keep the email centrally located and have
multiple access points.

here's how i'd do it

have three accounts your's, your wife's, and a common mail account.
set up the mail user to hold the common imap data.  then set up
evolution in your account and your wifes account to log into the imap
server (can be on the same computer, it doesn't matter) with the mail
accounts username and password.

then later if you get another computer and your wife and you use
different computers, you can still share the same mail account.  if
you get a laptop, you can set it up to use the remote account and
you'll be able to do everything remotely.

this is how i have my mail system set up and it works great.

mike

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Andy Procto » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 05:22:26

Andy

Quote:

> andy, here's how evolution is set up on my machine (i did the default
> install so it's probably like yours):  in my home directory there's a
> evolution directory.  inside that directory, there's a mail directory.
>  so my guess would be to set up evolution on your account and then
> create a symbolic link in your wife's directory to the evolution
> directory in your home directory.

> one other solution that i think might even make you're life alot
> easier: set up an imap server on your linux box. (real easy, just make
> sure imap is installed and set it to start up on boot).  then set up
> evolution in you're directory to connect to the imap server.  you can
> do this separately for each account (your's and your wifes).  with
> imap (unlike pop) you can keep the email centrally located and have
> multiple access points.

> here's how i'd do it

> have three accounts your's, your wife's, and a common mail account.
> set up the mail user to hold the common imap data.  then set up
> evolution in your account and your wifes account to log into the imap
> server (can be on the same computer, it doesn't matter) with the mail
> accounts username and password.

> then later if you get another computer and your wife and you use
> different computers, you can still share the same mail account.  if
> you get a laptop, you can set it up to use the remote account and
> you'll be able to do everything remotely.

> this is how i have my mail system set up and it works great.

> mike

Mike, thanks for the help, sounds perfect. I'll try and let you know how I
go!

Andy

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Andy Procto » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 08:51:02

Mike, not having used imap before, ive run into some trouble.

Ive set up the mail user, started imap up and added the line

imapd: mybox.mydomain.co.uk

to my hosts.allow file

I can connect to it with a client but thats all, how to I set the thing up
to fetch the mail from my isp when connected?

I cant find any how to or docs on my system that are easy to read, I have
installed the default server with suse 8.0 and there is a docs dir under
/usr/docs/packages for imap but the config file basically says

"The IMAP and POP3 servers are plug-and-play on standard UNIX
systems.  There is no special configuration needed.  Please ignore all
rumors to the effect that you need to create an IMAP configuration
file."

So how do I configure it to get my mail, and set it up for the new mail
account ive just created!

Sorry for the dumb question but lost here!

Andy

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Andy Procto » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:16:20

> Mike, not having used imap before, ive run into some trouble.

> Ive set up the mail user, started imap up and added the line

> imapd: mybox.mydomain.co.uk

> to my hosts.allow file

> I can connect to it with a client but thats all, how to I set the thing up
> to fetch the mail from my isp when connected?

> I cant find any how to or docs on my system that are easy to read, I have
> installed the default server with suse 8.0 and there is a docs dir under
> /usr/docs/packages for imap but the config file basically says

> "The IMAP and POP3 servers are plug-and-play on standard UNIX
> systems.  There is no special configuration needed.  Please ignore all
> rumors to the effect that you need to create an IMAP configuration
> file."

> So how do I configure it to get my mail, and set it up for the new mail
> account ive just created!

> Sorry for the dumb question but lost here!

> Andy

Ok ive found that it was a bit of a dumb question, I need to use fetchmail
and deliver it to the imap server right? Where do I specify the mail user
to hold the data?

Sorry about this?

Andy

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Mike Deskevi » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:30:25

> > Mike, not having used imap before, ive run into some trouble.

> > Ive set up the mail user, started imap up and added the line

> > imapd: mybox.mydomain.co.uk

> > to my hosts.allow file

> > I can connect to it with a client but thats all, how to I set the thing up
> > to fetch the mail from my isp when connected?

> > I cant find any how to or docs on my system that are easy to read, I have
> > installed the default server with suse 8.0 and there is a docs dir under
> > /usr/docs/packages for imap but the config file basically says

> > "The IMAP and POP3 servers are plug-and-play on standard UNIX
> > systems.  There is no special configuration needed.  Please ignore all
> > rumors to the effect that you need to create an IMAP configuration
> > file."

> > So how do I configure it to get my mail, and set it up for the new mail
> > account ive just created!

> > Sorry for the dumb question but lost here!

> > Andy

> Ok ive found that it was a bit of a dumb question, I need to use fetchmail
> and deliver it to the imap server right? Where do I specify the mail user
> to hold the data?

> Sorry about this?

> Andy

andy, yes fechmail (or maybe procmail) will work to get the mail from
your isp and throw it in your mail user.  i've not played with either
of these programs, but from what i have read you'll want to have the
mail user run fetchmail and then it'll automatically get put into the
mail user's mailboxes.

i cheat a little.  i never wanted to mess with fetchmail, so what i do
is set up evolution with two accounts, one to my isp and one to my
imap box.  then when i have evolution check mail it downloads it from
the isp and puts in in the imap box.  you could do the same thing,
have both your and your wife's copy of evolution have two email
accounts, one that goes and gets the mail from the isp when you're
online and puts it in the imap account.  i know it's not the most
elegant solution, but i never needed any more so i haven't looked into
fetchmail.  but from other postings that i have read, fetchmail isn't
hard to use.

mike

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Andy Procto » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:20:45

Hi mike, I was going to reply sooner, but my isp dropped the group for some
reason.

I got it all working using imap and a separate mail account as you
suggested, really easy in the end, once I figured out what I really was
trying to achieve, and a little reading.

I've now got the mail account to automatically collect mail using a separate
fetchmailrc every 10 mins, if connected to the net, and deliver it via
sendmail to the mail account. Sendmail also regularly sends mail as my
linux system and the windows boxes it serves (2 in the home) all now use
the imap account and sendmail!

Works great thanks very much for the help!

Andy

Help with Ximian Evolution

Post by Mike Deskevi » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:16:41

> Hi mike, I was going to reply sooner, but my isp dropped the group for some
> reason.

> I got it all working using imap and a separate mail account as you
> suggested, really easy in the end, once I figured out what I really was
> trying to achieve, and a little reading.

> I've now got the mail account to automatically collect mail using a separate
> fetchmailrc every 10 mins, if connected to the net, and deliver it via
> sendmail to the mail account. Sendmail also regularly sends mail as my
> linux system and the windows boxes it serves (2 in the home) all now use
> the imap account and sendmail!

> Works great thanks very much for the help!

> Andy

andy,

i'm glad it worked for you...if you don't mind could you either post
or send me the fecthmail and sendmail scripts you made?  i never had
the patience to sit down and figure out how to get them to work
(especially sendmail).  i might change my setup to match yours now
that you did all the hard work in figuring it out :)

mike

1. What is the difference between evolution in RH8 and evolution from Ximian?

Hello,
I just install the RH8 and configured the system default language to
Chinese. My PC worked great in Chinese. I really like the full
functional evolution(1.0.8), which worked very well in Chinese and
English. But when I upgraded the evolution to 1.2 from Ximian.com. It
stoped displaying the Chinese characters in all emails. I tried
different encoding methods in the menu, but it did not work. Chinese
in the menu still properly displayed.

When I upgrade the evolution, I notice that it upgrades several
dependent packages in my system. But what is the difference between
evolution with RH8 and evolution 1.2 from Ximian?
Why I lost some of the basic functions when I upgrade?
What are the tricks to get the evolution to show Chinese in mail?

Maybe some guys in Red Hat know the secrects, Can you share them with
us?

I really like to get my Chinese email back, and really thank you great
guys for create such a wonderful application.

Ji Tao

2. Specialix SIO/XIO driver 0.8.1 - important bug fix

3. Help! Sending mail with Ximian Evolution

4. rcmd command

5. Need help with Galeon and Ximian Evolution.

6. OpenBSD on sparc boot problem

7. Ximian Evolution on Solaris 9 Sparc (installed but aborts)

8. newbie question, Xircom Wireless card (airo_cs)

9. Ximian Evolution: Changing weather location.

10. ximian evolution

11. Filters and Ximian Evolution 1.0.3

12. Search all folders in Ximian Evolution

13. ximian evolution: 554 SMTP synchronization error