Getty not respawning reliably on ttyS2

Post by Mobst » Thu, 17 Feb 1994 06:19:05

Hi,

I'm using having a problem with getty not respawning after several logins.

Running Slackware install, kernel 0.99.15 from sunsite.unc.edu...

I have two 486's (50mhz, 33mhz) set up with one as a transmit computer, and
and one as the receive.  They are connected using two ISDN cards acting as
Hayes modems.  I have the receive side set up to auto-answer ( ats0=1 )
with a getty running on ttyS2.

I then use kermit to dial the receive side, login, logout ( logout hangs up
because of stty settings).  I need to be able to do this many times
successively.

The receive side almost _answers_ reliably.

Usually, the getty is there does its thing.  However, every 9 or 10 tries
(usually 9 or 10, but not a fixed number) the getty is not there.  I get
CONNECT from the modem, but have to wait about 5 min ( I've timed it )
and then I finally get the issue banner, etc, and everything proceeds normally.

The receive modem is definitely answering, but the getty is just not there
waiting.  I have done ps's and top's, etc to watch, and sure enough, one
second the getty is not there, and the next it's loging me in.

If anyone has any idea whatsoever as to what's going on, please E-mail me

Thanks,
   Michael

--

                                | Georgia Tech Research Institute
                                | Information & Telecommunications Lab

Getty not respawning reliably on ttyS2

Post by Arsenio Monteiro dos Reis - lisbbs » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 22:59:10

: Hi,

: waiting.  I have done ps's and top's, etc to watch, and sure enough, one
: second the getty is not there, and the next it's loging me in.

:    Michael

i had the same problem with getty, the modem answer but getty doesn't work.
I solve it by using uugetty insted, it works fine, it was just plug and play.

arsenio reis

1. Getty not respawning on logout

To all those who repsonded to my earlier postings, thanks.
However, I still have not fixed the problem.
To summarise the problem.
I have slackware 1.2.0
A friend is logging in directly vis serial lead (no modem, SLIP, etc..) from
an MS-DOS box using kermit.
When he logs out the getty does not respawn
The getty is defined in /etc/inittab as:
s2:45:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT38400 vt100
If I run 'init q' when the getty dies, then it reruns for about 15 seconds,
then dies again.
Can anyone help?

2. Tansparent Squid Proxy

3. /etc/init does not respawn getty

4. tcpxfer

5. : Getty not respawning properly

6. linux on libretto 70 CT by PCMCIA/ethernet

7. Trying to kill getty so I can dial out on ttys2; help

8. Using Linux as a Slip Server Solved (almost)

9. Question for RIGHTS on /dev/ttyS2 after a new getty/mgetty/uugetty --- IMPORTANT !!!

10. getty won't always respawn...HELP!

11. help with getty, respawn & serial stuff

12. Init & getty respawn too fast

13. getty won't always respawn...HELP!