Boca Board Multiport Serial Board

Having problems getting a Boca BB-1008 multiport serial board to work with Linux. I have the board setup at IRQ 12 and IO starting at 0x100. Linux boots and does its autodetection (as configured in r rc.serial) and it see's the ports at the appropriate IO addresses and the correct IRQ. But, when I try echoing something to /dev/cua16 or any of the other configured ports I get nothing on the line. Is there something I need to do to the kernel in order fo ir to work with this board?

Post by Richard Shetr » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 12:05:37

>Having problems getting a Boca BB-1008 multiport serial board to work with Linux. I have the board setup at IRQ 12 and IO starting at 0x100. Linux boots and does its autodetection (as configured in r rc.serial) and it see's the ports at the appropriate IO addresses and the correct IRQ. But, when I try echoing something to /dev/cua16 or any of the other configured ports I get nothing on the line. Is there something I need to do to the kernel in order fo ir to work with this board?

If you are using the cables that came with the card, they are most
likely terminal cables, not modem cables.  Try a null modem adapter to
check for this.  The BB1008 cards do not work well with modems due to
missing modem control signals.

Post by Dale Elr » Mon, 22 Aug 1994 16:35:13

: Having problems getting a Boca BB-1008 multiport serial board to work with Linux. I have the board setup at IRQ 12 and IO starting at 0x100. Linux boots and does its autodetection (as configured in r rc.serial) and it see's the ports at the appropriate IO addresses and the correct IRQ. But, when I try echoing something to /dev/cua16 or any of the other configured ports I get nothing on the line. Is there something I need to do to the kernel in order fo ir to work with this board?

If your using a later kernel than 1.0.8 then you will have to probally do
the same hack I had too for the BB2016 card. Used to be you could add a
statement in the config.in file to do this. But this no longer works with
the new serial code. Instead you need to edit the /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/
serial.c file, in here search for #define BOCA_FLAGS 0 and change this to
#define BOCA_FLAGS ASYNC_BOOT_AUTOCONFIG
Now recompile and enjoy. Worls great on my slip server with 16 USR modems
connected to it.

--
+-----------------------------+------------------+---------------------+

| Dungeon Network Systems     | +44-638-711550   | Mildenhall, Suffolk |

+-----------------------------+------------------+---------------------+

Boca Board Multiport Serial Board

Post by Norm Walk » Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:17:21

you do not need to hack the kernel to get serial boards working just use
setserial it will let you configure all your ports exactly as you want
--
Merritt Secondary School - Computer Support Teacher

1. high speed serial boards (was Re: Multiport serial boards)

I am interested to hear more info on the Ethernet based terminal servers
mentioned above for the low entry models.

In fact I have the following situation: one linux box used to link via
SLIP serial connections and LEASED lines my LAN with two other LAN'S
(at both other ends of the lines there are linux boxes). The connections
use two pairs of Penril modems (for leased lines) and some home made
scripts (usual slattach, ifconfig and route stuff). All three serial ports
on the main linux box are now used.
Now all three linux boxes serial boards don't support more than 9600 bps
while the modems support 28,8 kbps and I would like to rise the speed
of the serial lines.

For the moment I don't have a good idea how to do it. Indeed using
terminal servers could turn to be not only expensive but also could lead
to some routing problems. On the other hand using high speed serial boards
could lead to problems concerning the special drivers and the fact that
here I don't seek the usual "logging (dialing) into a linux box process" but
connecting LAN's 24 hours per day with a resonable automatized mechanism
of recovery in case of failure.

If someone can help me with these problems, please reply also to:

Thank you.
Nicolae Mihalache

Institut de Mathematiques de Jussieu

2. "Invalid Function" when selecting a Windows Mapped drive

3. BOCA multiport serial boards?

4. Firewall Setup

5. BOCA I/O650 (aka BOCA Turbo 650) 16C650 Serial Board

6. Sound card

7. BOCA 2106 Multiport Boards

8. Q: Re: Q: Mitsumi Quad-Speed.

9. Boca BB-1008 multiport board with Redhat 5.0

10. Boca multiport boards (BB-100X)

11. multiport serial board

12. Multiport Serial Boards...

13. rs_multi loop break errors with boca multi-serial board