rsh vs. rlogin problem

Post by Dave Pasc » Thu, 31 Mar 1994 11:27:58

I'm having a problem with a user using rsh from a Sun to a Linux box.
When we rlogin to the Linux box, the shell is /bin/csh and .cshrc is
sourced properly.

When we rsh over to the Linux box and print out the environment, we
don't see the environment variables we would expect from .cshrc being
sourced.  So it appears that when using rsh the session is not
adopting the shell of the user we're logging in as......I thought rsh
is supposed to adopt the shell of the username one uses to log in as.

Is there a way around this?

--
Dave Pascoe                  KM3T

24 Prime Park Way            WWW: http://www.mathworks.com
Natick, MA 01760 USA         Phone: (508) 653-1415 x362

1. telnet vs. rsh vs. rlogin ???

I use telnet when logging into remote hosts, but I know rsh and rlogin
can do basically the same thing.

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using these commands?
   I guess I'm trying to find out if one is particularly BETTER than
   the others.

2. Does anyone know of documentation (books or Web sites) that
   possibly compare these commands?  I know I can read the man pages
   but that doesn't really give me a GOOD side-by-side comparison.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated!

2. This dip script redials

3. mysterious problem with rsh and rlogin

4. Mmaping /dev/kmem gives only one page, HELP ANYONE

5. Problems with rlogin or rsh.

6. csh: redirect script's stdin to command?

7. Problem with telnet, rlogin, rsh

8. Shadow File

9. Problems with rlogin/rsh and SLiRP

10. Problems with rsh/rlogin when no nameserver

11. Problem with rlogin and rsh

12. rsh & rlogin problems

13. Help! Wierd rlogin/rsh problem!