HELP: Graphics card won't reset to text mode after running X

HELP: Graphics card won't reset to text mode after running X

Post by Daniel A. Seg » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 06:03:57

I'm running the Slackware distribution of Linux & Xfree86 2.1.1
on a 486 using an ATI Graphics Wonder SVGA card (new cheap ATI card
that uses the Mach32 chip).

I can get X to start up fine, but if I then try to go back to
one of the other tty's, or if I quit out of X, the screen gets
all messed up and all I see are a bunch of short vertical lines
instead of text characters. I think the monitor is re-synching at
the proper rate, but the graphics mode is obviously wrong.

Any ideas? Is there somewhere I can configure what happens when the
system switches to a text screen? Is there some program I can run
to force the mode into a text mode?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel A. Segel

--
Daniel A. Segel, KD6NMT, DoD# 1007, T120V, R75/5, K75S
"MIT was after me, you know. Wanted me to rule the world for them."

1. HELP: My ATI card won't switch back to text mode after running X

I have an ATI Graphics Wonder VLB (new cheap Mach32 based card) running
on a 486. I run XFree86 v2.1 under Linux 1.1.20. I have to use the Mach8
drivers because the Graphics Wonder is only Mach8 driver compatible,
even though it has the Mach32 chipset.

Anyway, X runs fine, but when I exit out of it or try to switch to
a text console the screen just shows a bunch of vertical lines. I can
still type commands in and everything appears to be working, but my
only option at that point is to reboot to get the video card set back
into a normal mode.

Note that this is *not* a tty/term type of problem. No amount of resetting
the terminal will fix it; it's the video card itself that is in the wrong
mode.

Any advice or tips on how to rectify the situation? Is there some way
I could write a short program that sets the video card back to a valid
text mode? I've done some C programming, but don't know where to begin
with respect to programming the video card (and I don't have any ATI
programmers info).

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel A. Segel

--
Daniel A. Segel

2. 802.11b - Are combined access points safer?

3. Linuxconf won't run in graphics mode

4. QLogic SCSI conflict w/ WD8013

5. X Term won't run with my graphics card!!!

6. Morningstar PPP

7. X Won't run with my graphics card/monitor

8. No shell error

9. Getting Graphic Mode and Text Mode during Startup

10. disable login either in graphic mode or text mode

11. Ghostscript won't reset PS mode.

12. X won't restore text mode -- what to do

13. PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start