Beginner's questions

Post by Bin Ya » Thu, 07 Apr 1994 08:21:21

I have a 486DX33 and I am considering installing Linux on it. Firstly, I tried
to get files from tsx-11.mit.edu but the a1 disk file a1.3 is 1474560 bytes
big, but my 3.5 2HD disk has only 1457664 bytes. What should I do? Secondly,
suppose that after a while I find that I do not really want Linux on my PC,
can I remove it completely?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Beginner's questions

Post by Daniel Torr » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 05:32:19

: to get files from tsx-11.mit.edu but the a1 disk file a1.3 is 1474560 bytes
: big, but my 3.5 2HD disk has only 1457664 bytes. What should I do? Secondly,

I'm using the Slackware 1.1.2 distribution, available from
sunsite.unc.edu, and I haven't had any problems like this.  You might
want to tak a look at Slackware...

: suppose that after a while I find that I do not really want Linux on my PC,
: can I remove it completely?

Yup.  Just make sure you back up anything important before you install
it; if you back up the whole disk, you could restore it to all of its
former DOS glory at any time.

---

Daniel A. Torrey                     "If your kids knew how lame you really
ESP Software Services                    are they'd kill you in your sleep."

linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux - linux

Beginner's questions

Post by Tom Fawce » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 02:09:42

> I have a 486DX33 and I am considering installing Linux on
> it. Firstly, I tried to get files from tsx-11.mit.edu but the a1
> disk file a1.3 is 1474560 bytes big, but my 3.5 2HD disk has only
> 1457664 bytes. What should I do?

Your 2HD disk can hold 1474560 bytes.  Read the Installation-HOWTO
file.  It will tell you to use RAWRITE.EXE (DOS) or dd (unix) to write
the image.

Quote:> Secondly, suppose that after a while I find that I do not really
> want Linux on my PC, can I remove it completely?

No, you're stuck with it forever.  Linux plays for keeps.  :-)

You should make a full backup of your disk (including fdisk and
format) before installing any new operating system.  If you want to
get rid of the Linux partition, you'll probably have to re-format and
re-load the disk.  I think the Installation-HOWTO also advises this.

-Tom