gcc: Internal Compiler Error

Post by Todd Mas » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 12:04:19

Hello all,
  Maybe someone out there can help me with a wierd problem that
has been plaguing me since I installed my system a couple
weeks ago.  I installed the Slackware 2.* double CD set on my
system.  The initial installation did not include all of the
options I wanted in the configuration, thus I have a compressed
kernal that is lacking features I need that was created by the
install program.  When I follow all the directions in the README
in /usr/src/linux I:
  make config (and change all of the options I want)
  make dep ; make clean
  make zImage

The problem is that I have yet to compile successfully the new
kernal image.  I keep getting that gcc: internal compiler error
and it kicks me out to the prompt.  The wierd thing is that it
doesn't keep happening in the same spot everytime.  It seems
to be bombing out in a random place everytime I try.  I could
see if maybe one of the *.c files was corrupt and it would keep
bombing out when it attempts to compile that particular
program, but it never happens in the same place twice.  Even
when making the dependants, it sometimes bombs.  What can I
be doing wrong?  I believe I have followed all of the directions
and have set everything up according to the installation manual
included on the slackware CD.  Any suggestions?  If this

with any help.  Thanks in advance.

  -Todd
--
"Image is EVERYTHING"-- Agassi
    Todd Masek aka -=<StarmasteR>=-

Post by Joe Nardo » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 12:20:09

: Hello all,
:   Maybe someone out there can help me with a wierd problem that
: has been plaguing me since I installed my system a couple
: weeks ago.  I installed the Slackware 2.* double CD set on my
: system.  The initial installation did not include all of the
: options I wanted in the configuration, thus I have a compressed
: kernal that is lacking features I need that was created by the
: install program.  When I follow all the directions in the README
: in /usr/src/linux I:
:   make config (and change all of the options I want)
:   make dep ; make clean
:   make zImage

What hardware/processor do you have?  This sounds like a problem
some people have had with the CPU overheating (486/dx2-80's and
early Pentiums).  It also could (but I doubt it) be a bug in GCC.

Try getting a heatsink or fan, or perhaps trying to compile with
the turbo switch off and see if it's the cpu which is at fault.

Joe

: The problem is that I have yet to compile successfully the new
: kernal image.  I keep getting that gcc: internal compiler error
: and it kicks me out to the prompt.  The wierd thing is that it
: doesn't keep happening in the same spot everytime.  It seems
: to be bombing out in a random place everytime I try.  I could
: see if maybe one of the *.c files was corrupt and it would keep
: bombing out when it attempts to compile that particular
: program, but it never happens in the same place twice.  Even
: when making the dependants, it sometimes bombs.  What can I
: be doing wrong?  I believe I have followed all of the directions
: and have set everything up according to the installation manual
: included on the slackware CD.  Any suggestions?  If this

: with any help.  Thanks in advance.

:   -Todd
: --
: "Image is EVERYTHING"-- Agassi
:     Todd Masek aka -=<StarmasteR>=-
:      (ad027)         -------------

Joe Nardone          |     Sundown dazzling day, gold through my eye

Post by Kelly Carmicha » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 17:11:04

>: Hello all,
>:   Maybe someone out there can help me with a wierd problem that
>: has been plaguing me since I installed my system a couple
>: weeks ago.  I installed the Slackware 2.* double CD set on my
>: system.  The initial installation did not include all of the
>: options I wanted in the configuration, thus I have a compressed
>: kernal that is lacking features I need that was created by the
>: install program.  When I follow all the directions in the README
>: in /usr/src/linux I:
>:   make config (and change all of the options I want)
>:   make dep ; make clean
>:   make zImage

>What hardware/processor do you have?  This sounds like a problem
>some people have had with the CPU overheating (486/dx2-80's and
>early Pentiums).  It also could (but I doubt it) be a bug in GCC.

>Try getting a heatsink or fan, or perhaps trying to compile with
>the turbo switch off and see if it's the cpu which is at fault.

>Joe

>: The problem is that I have yet to compile successfully the new
>: kernal image.  I keep getting that gcc: internal compiler error
>: and it kicks me out to the prompt.  The wierd thing is that it
>: doesn't keep happening in the same spot everytime.  It seems
>: to be bombing out in a random place everytime I try.  I could
>: see if maybe one of the *.c files was corrupt and it would keep
>: bombing out when it attempts to compile that particular
>: program, but it never happens in the same place twice.  Even
>: when making the dependants, it sometimes bombs.  What can I
>: be doing wrong?  I believe I have followed all of the directions
>: and have set everything up according to the installation manual
>: included on the slackware CD.  Any suggestions?  If this

>: with any help.  Thanks in advance.

the error wouldn't be a signal 11 wouldit???
it sounds like you are short on ram/swapspace
this type of error happens occasionally on the net and noone remembers to
ask how much ram/swapspace you have on your system. try allocating some
swapspace

>:   -Todd
>: --
>: "Image is EVERYTHING"-- Agassi
>:     Todd Masek aka -=<StarmasteR>=-
>:      (ad027)         -------------

>--
>=------------------------------------------------------------------=
>Joe Nardone          |     Sundown dazzling day, gold through my eye
>                     |            But my eyes turned within only see

gcc: Internal Compiler Error

Post by Perry F Nguy » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 17:31:30

: >
: the error wouldn't be a signal 11 wouldit???
: it sounds like you are short on ram/swapspace
: this type of error happens occasionally on the net and noone remembers to
: ask how much ram/swapspace you have on your system. try allocating some
: swapspace

It's doubtful that it's out of Virtual Memory, as the error with running
out of memory is something like
Make: [Error:??] Out of Virtual Memory, ...
(Yeah, it happened to me lots and lots and lots)

It's probably missing some of the file libraries required for gcc, try
ftping them from sunsite or something.
--
               __________                             ___________
               \______   \ __________________ ___.__. \_   _____/
                |     ___// __ \_  __ \_  __ <   |  |  |    __)
                |    |   \  ___/|  | \/|  | \/\___  |  |     \
                |____|    \___  >__|   |__|   / ____|  \___  /
                              \/              \/           \/

                           Finger for PGP public key.

gcc: Internal Compiler Error

Post by Keith Rober » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 21:28:50

I had similar problems with GCC with random crashes etc. Eventually I
tracked it down to a faulty external Cache.

Just a thought

Keith Roberts

: >
[...]

: >: --
: >: "Image is EVERYTHING"-- Agassi
: >:     Todd Masek aka -=<StarmasteR>=-
: >:      (ad027)         -------------
: >
: >--
: >=------------------------------------------------------------------=
: >Joe Nardone          |     Sundown dazzling day, gold through my eye
: >                     |            But my eyes turned within only see

: >
: >
: >
: >

gcc: Internal Compiler Error

Post by roo » Sun, 08 Jan 1995 00:20:07

I also think these problems are caused by external cache memory.
I have had the same kind of problems for a while now. I have a
Hippo VL  motherboard with something called "dynamic cache
architecture" and I think this is the cause of my problems ( maybe
it's not 100% IBM compatible? ) . Is anybody else having problems
with this kind of cache?

The problems first appeared when I updated the kernel from 1.0.9 to
1.1.44 and lasted up untill 1.1.73 (where in fact increasing!) I could
not comile any program and X crashed at random.
Yesterday I installed a 1.1.75 kernel and up untill now I have not
withnesed any problems!

But to be on the safe site I'll stick with 1.09 for the time being, for
my system this seems to be the most stable kernel.

: I had similar problems with GCC with random crashes etc. Eventually I
: tracked it down to a faulty external Cache.

: : >
[...]

Michiel Voskamp

Post by Ingo Eichenseh » Tue, 10 Jan 1995 22:47:42

|> I had similar problems with GCC with random crashes etc. Eventually I
|> tracked it down to a faulty external Cache.
|>
|> Just a thought
|>
|> Keith Roberts
|>

|> : >
|> : >: Hello all,
|> : >:   Maybe someone out there can help me with a wierd problem that
|> : >: has been plaguing me since I installed my system a couple
|> : >: weeks ago.  I installed the Slackware 2.* double CD set on my
|> : >: system.  The initial installation did not include all of the
|> : >: options I wanted in the configuration, thus I have a compressed
|> : >: kernal that is lacking features I need that was created by the
|> : >: install program.  When I follow all the directions in the README
|> : >: in /usr/src/linux I:
|> : >:   make config (and change all of the options I want)
|> : >:   make dep ; make clean
|> : >:   make zImage
|> : >
|> : the error wouldn't be a signal 11 wouldit???
|> : it sounds like you are short on ram/swapspace
|> : this type of error happens occasionally on the net and noone remembers to
|> : ask how much ram/swapspace you have on your system. try allocating some
|> : swapspace

I also had such a problem. Then i read something about the
Cyrix 486/DX2-66 (which i have) and heared about problems
with its cache in write-back mode. Ich changed the cache-mode
to write-through in the bios configuration and the problems
were gone. Currently I'm using Linux 1.1.72 and gcc 2.6.2.

|Ingo Eichenseher                      | Dachauerstrasse 9a   |
|Lehrstuhl fuer Angewandte Mathematik  | 80335 Muenchen       |
|Technische Universitaet Muenchen      | Tel.: (089)552248-20 |
|       http://www.appl-math.tu-muenchen.de/~ieichens/        |

Post by Chris Fearnl » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 06:34:43

> I also think these problems are caused by external cache memory.
> I have had the same kind of problems for a while now. I have a
> Hippo VL  motherboard with something called "dynamic cache
> architecture" and I think this is the cause of my problems ( maybe
> it's not 100% IBM compatible? ) . Is anybody else having problems
> with this kind of cache?

> : I had similar problems with GCC with random crashes etc. Eventually I
> : tracked it down to a faulty external Cache.

This is one of many possible hardware reasons for this error message.
I have not fully trakked my problem down yet, but my friends have
suggested I get a soldering iron and find out where on my SIMMS
connectors there is a "cold" spot and touch it.  Being apprehensive
about such a task (and not having any soldering iron handy), I'm
still waiting.  Things got a lot better for me when I upgraded my
RAM to 16M - and disposed of the old RAM.
--
Christopher J. Fearnley         |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS

503 S 44th ST                   |    Linux Advocate
Philadelphia PA 19104-3907      |    (215)349-9681

Post by Steffen R. Muell » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 07:54:54

: I also had such a problem. Then i read something about the
: Cyrix 486/DX2-66 (which i have) and heared about problems
: with its cache in write-back mode. Ich changed the cache-mode
: to write-through in the bios configuration and the problems
: were gone. Currently I'm using Linux 1.1.72 and gcc 2.6.2.

The internal compiler errors also ocurred here on my system with an AMD
486/80 CPU from time to time.
The 2.6.2 gcc versions claims to be stable but i'm in doubth it is as stable
as the 2.5.8 was. Unfortunately some few programs require the new version.
xosview i.e is one of the programs, checkserv is another (both written in
C++)

Bye
Steffen

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
|                                                                       |

|                                                                       |
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. RedHat 5.1 - GCC internal compiler errors

Hi all!

I just got around to installing RH5.1 last weekend.  Installation went
great but...

I am getting bad compiler errors from gcc (stock version from RH5.1)
when I try to compile things like new kernels, updated gcc, egcs, pgcc.
Specifically, I am getting halts on internal compiler errors.

I had no problems compiling these versions of gcc (2.8.1) and pgcc
(19980508) under RH5.0 (with updated binutils etc.) but not so now.

The errors do not seem to be consistant (i.e. don't necessarily occur at
the same place if I do make clean; make bootstrap).  Also I have gotten
a couple of apparently clean compiles that seem to be producing unusable
binaries.

Anyway, is anyone else having problems?  Or am I just nuts?  This is not
new or different harware from what I was running previously.  Also,
trying egcs (RH5.1) still seems to have problems?

Any ideas?

TIA,

seregon

2. Evidence eliminator program

3. [Re: gcc: internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11]

4. NFS: export share to multiple networks

5. gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

6. book for hacker?

7. GCC internal compiler error

8. Install Problems

9. GCC Internal Compiler error, the answers

10. GCC internal compiler error

11. help with gcc internal compiler error

12. gcc: Internal compiler error

13. gcc: internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11