: Xmosaic-2.0 can't connect to services over cslip

: Xmosaic-2.0 can't connect to services over cslip

Post by James B. MacLe » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 23:46:49

Hello all,
        I've been happily using Xmosaic-1.2 for quite some time now. Today
when I installed mosaic-2.0 from sunsite, I seem to be unable to get it to
connect. I can watch it send on my modem (via lights), receive something,
transmit something small, and then say it is unable to conenct. I have tried
different services, including a local gopher, all with no success. If I try
again after the first attempt, I can see it start to recieve stuff, but this
is never acknowedged by Xmosaic. I upgraded to Xfree2.0 to use mosaic.
Xmosaic-1.2 still works fine. I'm curently using pl13.

        Sorry if this has already been answered, somehow I missed the
announcement of mosaic-2.0 on sunsite.

JES
---

Post by Andreas Hel » Mon, 15 Nov 1993 06:45:49

: Hello all,
:       I've been happily using Xmosaic-1.2 for quite some time now. Today
: when I installed mosaic-2.0 from sunsite, I seem to be unable to get it to
: connect. I can watch it send on my modem (via lights), receive something,
: transmit something small, and then say it is unable to conenct. I have tried
: different services, including a local gopher, all with no success. If I try
: again after the first attempt, I can see it start to recieve stuff, but this
: is never acknowedged by Xmosaic. I upgraded to Xfree2.0 to use mosaic.
: Xmosaic-1.2 still works fine. I'm curently using pl13.

:       Sorry if this has already been answered, somehow I missed the
: announcement of mosaic-2.0 on sunsite.

: JES
: ---

I have the same problem with a different configuration. I have two computers
running linux with a direct ethernet tcp/ip connection to the internet. Both
use net-2 networking and shared libraries 4.4.4. One was based on the tamu
release and uses Xfree V 1.3 and a pl12 kernel. The other system uses Xfree 2
and a pl11 or pl13 kernel (depending on used bootdisk).

Andreas

--

Andreas Helke

Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
69122 Heidelberg

: Xmosaic-2.0 can't connect to services over cslip

Post by Scott A. Lai » Tue, 16 Nov 1993 15:31:38

I'm the person that compiled the Mosaic 2.0 binary that's on sunsite,
and I'm aware that people are having problems with it.  Very aware.
Trust me and my mail box on that one.  In fact, the only person that I
know of that doesn't have problems is *me*.  I'm not directly on the
internet, though, so I can't test things very throughly.  I can use
Mosaic 2.0 over term (using tredir for now, a fixed binary is
coming...) just fine, and I can connect to a local FTP server and NNTP
server (which several people have reported _not_ working for them.).

Several people complained about problems with pl13q, so I upgraded to
pl13q (from pl13p), and recompiled, and now have a binary that's
byte-for-byte identical with the old one, and both still work fine.  I
upgraded my X libraries (I was actually using the libaries from the
1.9Z beta of XFree86 2.0, which _should_ have been identical) and
ended up with the same binary (byte for byte) and still no problems.

One person's sent me a proposed patch, and I'll try to upload a binary
using it, but I don't think that it's fixing the right problem.  If
anyone has a good answer, or even a decent suggestion, please send it
to me.

Scott.
--
Scott A. Laird            |  "But this goes to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615"

: Xmosaic-2.0 can't connect to services over cslip

Post by Stephen Willia » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 02:41:10

99.13r with XFree2.0, Mosaic-2.0 work for me with cslip to Cerfnet or
Oarnet.

: : Hello all,
: :     I've been happily using Xmosaic-1.2 for quite some time now. Today
: : when I installed mosaic-2.0 from sunsite, I seem to be unable to get it to
: : connect. I can watch it send on my modem (via lights), receive something,
: : transmit something small, and then say it is unable to conenct. I have tried
: : different services, including a local gopher, all with no success. If I try
: : again after the first attempt, I can see it start to recieve stuff, but this
: : is never acknowedged by Xmosaic. I upgraded to Xfree2.0 to use mosaic.
: : Xmosaic-1.2 still works fine. I'm curently using pl13.

: :     Sorry if this has already been answered, somehow I missed the
: : announcement of mosaic-2.0 on sunsite.

: : JES
: : ---

: I have the same problem with a different configuration. I have two computers
: running linux with a direct ethernet tcp/ip connection to the internet. Both
: use net-2 networking and shared libraries 4.4.4. One was based on the tamu
: release and uses Xfree V 1.3 and a pl12 kernel. The other system uses Xfree 2
: and a pl11 or pl13 kernel (depending on used bootdisk).

: Andreas

: --

: Andreas Helke

: Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
: Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
: 69122 Heidelberg

--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager

OO R&D Source Dist.  By Horse: 2464 Rosina Dr., Miamisburg, OH 45342-6430
GNU Support          ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W I love it when a plan comes together

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. DB/2 Backup problem in RS/6000(F50)

3. Accessing DBM file

4. Routing mail through CSLIP service to Linux box?

5. modules for SOLARIS

6. I can't connect() to port 119 (nntp service)

7. How difficult is?

8. Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

9. Can't Connect to Services

10. I can't connect Linux with @home service

11. pppoe: can't connect to a particular service name (provider)

12. xmosaic: Connect:No such file or Dir?