old apps don't find X11R5 libs after R6 install

old apps don't find X11R5 libs after R6 install

Post by Maik Musa » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 20:42:26

After saving my old Xapps binaries I installed a complete new
Linux with X11R6. When I now try to execute my old x apps, I
get messages like:

xloadimage: can't load library '//libX11.so.3'
        No such library.

I found that there are links in the /usr/X11R6/lib directory, pointing
to /usr/X11R5/lib, so that should work. I linked the libs also to
/usr/X11/lib, but that didn't work.

Anyone an idea?

Bye
Maik

old apps don't find X11R5 libs after R6 install

Try linking the X11R5 libs to the /lib directory.

--
*******************************         ---> Unident Limited <---
*        Jon M. Skanes        *   ---> Full Service Dental Supplier <---

*******************************  ---> Full Service Dental Laboratory <---

Post by Thomas Laram » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 09:26:53

: After saving my old Xapps binaries I installed a complete new
: Linux with X11R6. When I now try to execute my old x apps, I
: get messages like:

: xloadimage: can't load library '//libX11.so.3'
:         No such library.

: I found that there are links in the /usr/X11R6/lib directory, pointing
: to /usr/X11R5/lib, so that should work. I linked the libs also to
: /usr/X11/lib, but that didn't work.

: Anyone an idea?

: Bye
: Maik

I ran into the same problem,  and so I go copies of the libraries
in question (libX11.so.3) and left them in  /usr/X11R5/lib,  and
then I added the line
/usr/X11R5/lib
to ld.so.conf  in /etc  and now everything works.  I'm not sure if
that's the optimum solution,  but it works...

1. lib*.so.3 not found - X app don't run

Hello,

I'e got Linux from a Slackware 2.0 CD-Rom which includes XFree 2.1.1.
As my Video Card (Avance Logic) is not supported by X 2.1.1 I have
installed XFree86 3.1 which I got via ftp.

X 3.1 (twm) is now running properly. As I wanted to install some X
applications I installed the XAP and XV disk sets from my CD ROM but not
the X disk set (as I wanted to keep XF 3.1).

X 3.1 is in /usr/X11R6
My Xapps are in /usr/X11
Openwin is in /usr/openwin

My /etc/ld.so.conf has the following entries:
/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/X11/lib
/usr/openwin/lib

When I start any X application as for example xfm or xfilemanager I get
an error message:
"lixXpm.so.4" can't find library
"/lib/libX11.so.3" No such library
"//libXt.so.3" No such library
or sometimes "incompatible library"

I have to admit, I don't have the *.4 library (where can I get it) but
the *.3 libs are in /usr/X11R6/lib and the apps don't seem to find it.

I have checked all the man pages and howtos but couldn't find any hints.
My only guess is, that the apps take the location for their libs from
some initfile, but I haven't got a clue.

WHo can help me? Or can't I use the apps from X2.1.1 at all with X3.1?

Thanx, Urs

--

          (fido: 2:301/531.47)

2. SCSI ZIP Drives

3. help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

4. Aopen v.90/K56Flex won't dial

5. Where can I find old lib's like libxv3.so.1,2?

6. ScummVM

7. Old twm Problem still in R6: Can't rlogin!!

8. NT and SAMBA (format of networkname is incorrect)

9. I install linux, but adduser don't work and can't find setup

10. X starts, apps start, but I don't see apps

11. GTK libs don't install correctly!

12. Need to find X11R5 libs

13. X11R5 v. R6 compatibility