mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

Post by Chan Lap Wah Sams » Sun, 05 Dec 1993 00:39:36

Hi,

Could someone explain some pros and cons on using Sendmail vs
smail or others? I'm using smail with Linux, it works ok so far. But
have heard other saying sendmail is good *and* easy (yet I've read some
posts comp.mail.sendmail about problems...)

Should I switch to it? Or follow the universal golden rule:

        "If it ain't break, dont' fix it."

Thanks.
Sams

mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

Post by Vince Skah » Mon, 06 Dec 1993 05:48:57

Quote:>Could someone explain some pros and cons on using Sendmail vs
>smail or others? I'm using smail with Linux, it works ok so far. But
>have heard other saying sendmail is good *and* easy (yet I've read some
>posts comp.mail.sendmail about problems...)

[...personal opinion mode on...]

First, if it ain't broke...do NOT fix it unless you're looking for
an opportunity to learn something new.  Same goes for upgrades to
new packages, kernels, libraries, etc.  Don't mess with stuff that
will get you nothing in 'net value' (unless the experience of messing
with it and understanding it is the value to you).

[...sendmail+IDA zealot mode on :-)...]

I don't know how things can be easier to configure and maintain than
sendmail5.67a+IDA1.5 - it does everything all the others do and it's
extremely simple to configure, test, and maintain.

sendmail without IDA enhancements is a bit of a pain to 'get fancy' with
but for normal stuff it's ok.  You can make a career out of sendmail.cf
configuration however :-(

sendmail8.6.4 is the new kid on the block and has lots of improvements over
sendmail5.65.  It's also supposed to be easier to maintain like
sendmail+IDA.  I personally find it more complicated to figure out and I
can't make it do all the same things I can make sendmail+IDA do.  However,
that might be because I'm still 'thinking IDA' and it isn't IDA :-)

I can't think of too many nice things to say about smail3.1.28 these days.
The others blow its doors off IMHO in terms of functionality, ease of use,
and size of the expert admin community on USENET.  It *does* get the job
done once you get the hang of it however, but I find it extremely
complicated to do fancy stuff with.

My recommendation is to read comp.mail.sendmail, buy the O'Reilly
'sendmail' book that's out, and pick either sendmail+IDA or sendmail8.6.4
(both of which have clean ports to Linux).

I run sendmail+IDA here and on 300+ systems at work and can't think of
anything it can't do simply and effectively.  If you're talking Linux only,
Rich Braun has a real nice port of sendmail5.65c+IDA1.4.4.1 on sunsite.

Based on Rich's work, I got the current version (5.67a+IDA1.5) compiled and
run it here from the vanilla sources from ftp.uiuc.edu.  Maybe someday I'll
complete putting a package of the new version together and uploading it
to the normal Linux sites.

--

              Today's words to delete from the English language:
                "Buttafuoco", "Bobbitt", "Michael Jackson"

Post by Ed Saff » Tue, 07 Dec 1993 11:59:38

>>Hi,

>>Could someone explain some pros and cons on using Sendmail vs
>>smail or others? I'm using smail with Linux, it works ok so far. But
>>have heard other saying sendmail is good *and* easy (yet I've read some
>>posts comp.mail.sendmail about problems...)

>>Should I switch to it? Or follow the universal golden rule:

>>        "If it ain't break, dont' fix it."

  I'll agree that if what you have works, then stay with it.  I pieced stuff
together in my setup, and when it came time to add the email stuff, I didn't
know which to use, and had no currently running stuff.  I chose sendmail (the
one with IDA-1.5) and it seems to work.  I think I saw earlier in the thread
that someone had mentioned the sendmail book recently put out by O'Reilly &
Associates, it's a good book (at least so far, I am not done with it yet).

-Ed

Post by Kristian Koehnto » Tue, 07 Dec 1993 21:37:40

Quote:>Could someone explain some pros and cons on using Sendmail vs
>smail or others? I'm using smail with Linux, it works ok so far. But
>have heard other saying sendmail is good *and* easy (yet I've read some
>posts comp.mail.sendmail about problems...)

The difference between sendmail (any version) and smail is more
a religious one. It has to do with relative ease of getting
some jobs done and readability of configuration files:

- sendmail configuration is said to be a secret science
  including donors of young living cats to a dark godess at
  midnight. sendmails configuration files have similarity to
  line noise or the winning entry into a regular expression
  abuse contest.

  smail configuration files look much more straightforward and
  are easier to read aloud, but this is a trick. The devil is
  in the detail and one should not let himself be fooled into
  the false belief that one understands what is being done in
  this configuration file just because it only contains plain
  english words.

- Certain tasks can be done more easily in sendmail, other
  tasks can be done more easily in smail. Most common mail
  delivery problems are painless in both programs.

In my personal opinion smail is much better for UNIX
beginners, because it does throw that many special characters
at you ("How shall I learn to write a sendmail configuration? I
can even type it if it were given on a sheet of paper to me!").

Another startpoint for religious discussions is the general
approach of both programs to mail headers. Whereas sendmail is
base on header rewriting and actually transforms a message
header, smail only reads it in and parses it, but reproduces
the original header except when explicit rewrite commands are
included into the configuration.

Kristian

--
Kristian Koehntopp, Harmsstrasse 98, 24114 Kiel 1, +49 431 676689
"Auf welchem Channel seid Ihr?" "#toppoint!" "Wie schreibt man das?"

mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

Post by Kai Voi » Sun, 05 Dec 1993 18:31:57

Quote:>Hi,
>Could someone explain some pros and cons on using Sendmail vs
>smail or others? I'm using smail with Linux, it works ok so far. But
>have heard other saying sendmail is good *and* easy (yet I've read some
>posts comp.mail.sendmail about problems...)
>Should I switch to it? Or follow the universal golden rule:
>    "If it ain't break, dont' fix it."

Yes, "Never change a running system." When smail does its job, why
do you want to get sendmail?

Kai
--
Kai Voigt, Werftstrasse 2, 24148 Kiel, Germany, +49 431 7297514
 Wer Gruenkohl isst, und dabei nicht einmal die Bratkartoffeln vor

Post by Dan Russe » Wed, 08 Dec 1993 06:34:00

>The difference between sendmail (any version) and smail is more
>a religious one. It has to do with relative ease of getting
>some jobs done and readability of configuration files:
>- sendmail configuration is said to be a secret science
>  including donors of young living cats to a dark godess at
>  midnight. sendmails configuration files have similarity to
>  line noise or the winning entry into a regular expression
>  abuse contest.

This is true of the sendmail.cf file, which no longer needs tweaking
with the advent of 8.6.4.  I have appended my

Quote:>In my personal opinion smail is much better for UNIX
>beginners, because it does throw that many special characters
>at you ("How shall I learn to write a sendmail configuration? I
>can even type it if it were given on a sheet of paper to me!").

No no no no no. :-)  Read below.

Read the docs which come with sendmail on how to transform this into a
.cf file.  It is a one-liner ("mf < bugs.mc > sendmail.cf" or
something in the appropriate directory), but IMHO basic mail
configuration is something which should be thoroughly understood by
the admin of any box hung off of the Internet.

 dan

P.S. My machine name is bugs, thus the file name and RCS Id

-------- Begin bugs.mc
divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman
# Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
#       The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:
# 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
#    must display the following acknowledgement:
#       This product includes software developed by the University of
#       California, Berkeley and its contributors.
# 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
#    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
#    without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
# ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
# FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
# DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
# OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
# HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
# LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
# OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
# SUCH DAMAGE.
#

#
#  This is the prototype file for a configuration that supports nothing
#  but basic SMTP connections via TCP.
#
#  You may want to add an OSTYPE macro to get the location of various
#  support files for your operating system environment.
#

include(`../m4/cf.m4')

VERSIONID(`$Id: bugs.mc,v 0.1 1993/11/23 21:32:02 sorcerer Exp sorcerer $')

FEATURE(nouucp)

MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)

-------- End of bugs.mc

1. Smail dies, sendmail+ida drops core

Under Linux 1.0.8. (slackware)

A frustrating day on the mail front all around.

I recently got both the latest releases of smail and sendmail+ida from their
sources.  I used the smail config files that came with the slackware
distribution to build smail (which, with only a couple of problems, did).

It appeared to run fine, but would mysteriously die when attempting to process
the queue after running for several hours, invariably leaving a zombie.

While this was going on, I was attempting to compile the sendmail+ida
sources, wich I was able to, but the program would not run at all, dropping
core upon executing.  I guess my guesses were wrong.

I have temporarily solved my problem by not running smail as a daemon, but
instead allowing inetd to handle incoming smtp requests and cron handle
running runq (smail -q) every half hour.  This seems to work.

Could someone who has compiled the latest sendmail+ida release please send me
their configuration files?

Thanks!

--
Clay Luther                         Lonely C++ Programmer

2. Unable to remove LILO from scsi disk MBR (NO, its not what you think it is)

3. Queuing mail with sendmail+IDA

4. Making a @!&# PPP connection to WorldNet

5. sendmail 5.67a+IDA 1.5: 8-Bit mail possible?

6. printing

7. sendmail+IDA: PSEUDONYMS/bouncing mail, and '@' database

8. Question re: KDE screensavers

9. Sendmail on Solaris 5.6

10. AIX 4.1 Sendmail; comp.mail.sendmail

11. mail sendmail sendmail.cf problems

12. Repost from com.mail.sendmail, problem with solaris /etc/hosts and sendmail

13. sendmail patch overwrites /etc/mail/sendmail.cf