Xircom Ethernet?

Post by Timothy Hous » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 14:39:17

Hi there. I am using a Xircom parallel port ethernet interface. This is not
by choice, but what my university gave me. I read what the HOWTO said about
Xircom, but I didn't know if there were any drivers or alpha drivers anywhere
to help people stuck with these (like there are some drivers for those with
Diamond video cards). Thanks much.

--
Someone who had begun to read geometry with Euclid, when he had learned the
first proposition, asked him, "What shall I get by learning these things?"

Xircom Ethernet?

Post by C. Scott Anani » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 06:50:13

>Hi there. I am using a Xircom parallel port ethernet interface. This is not
>by choice, but what my university gave me. I read what the HOWTO said about
>Xircom, but I didn't know if there were any drivers or alpha drivers anywhere
>to help people stuck with these (like there are some drivers for those with
>Diamond video cards). Thanks much.

Hi.  I'm having the same problem/question.  I didn't see any response to this
message threading through the usenet, so I'll post it again.  Does anyone
have any ideas for getting Xircom Parrallel port Ethernet Adapters to work
under linux?  I think I found a BSD device driver on xircom's board, once...
at the risk of sounding totally ignorant, is there any chance this would
work?

Thanks!
-.-. .-.. .. ..-. --- .-. -..    ... -.-. --- - -    .- -. .- -. .. .- -.

 64 Holder Hall, Rockefeller College   /       without hindrance.
       Princeton University           /META-PARRESIAS AKOLUTOS:Acts 28:31
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'

Xircom Ethernet?

Post by Dan P » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 23:06:05

>>Hi there. I am using a Xircom parallel port ethernet interface. This is not
>>by choice, but what my university gave me. I read what the HOWTO said about
>>Xircom, but I didn't know if there were any drivers or alpha drivers anywhere
>>to help people stuck with these (like there are some drivers for those with
>>Diamond video cards). Thanks much.

>Hi.  I'm having the same problem/question.  I didn't see any response to this
>message threading through the usenet, so I'll post it again.  Does anyone
>have any ideas for getting Xircom Parrallel port Ethernet Adapters to work
>under linux?  I think I found a BSD device driver on xircom's board, once...
>at the risk of sounding totally ignorant, is there any chance this would
>work?

I think that this quote from the Ethernet-HOWTO is clear enough:

2.12 Xircom

        Another group that won't release documentation. No cards
        supported. Don't look for any support in the future unless
        they release their programming information. And this is
        highly unlikely, as they *forbid* you from even reverse-
        engineering their drivers. If you are already stuck with one,
        see if you can trade it off on some DOS (l)user. Read section
        9.01 if you are bored.

        And if you just want to verify that this is the case, you can
        reach Xircom at 1-800-874-7875 or +1-818-878-7600.

If you need more up to date info, please call one of these numbers.
If you need to connect your portable to ethernet, buy one of the
supported adapters.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, CN Division

Xircom Ethernet?

Post by Russell Nels » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 03:15:36

   Hi.  I'm having the same problem/question.  I didn't see any
   response to this message threading through the usenet, so I'll post
   it again.  Does anyone have any ideas for getting Xircom Parrallel
   port Ethernet Adapters to work under linux?  I think I found a BSD
   device driver on xircom's board, once...  at the risk of sounding
   totally ignorant, is there any chance this would work?

No.  Problem is that Xircom doesn't document their hardware.  Sell
your adapter, or return it if you still can, and buy one from D-Link
or GVC.

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

1. Xircom Ethernet PCMCIA info needed for the Ethernet driver?

Yes, I know Xircom did not "free" the details needed for the
Ethernet driver :-(...

Still I have this card and would like to use it in stead of throwing
this investment down the drain.
To recognise the card via the cardmgr is easy. But ...

Can someone help me with the details to get e.g. the Ethernet hard
address from this card? How much and where does this card differ
from the other manufacturers?

Thanks,

teus hagen

2. ASUS PCI-V192 Triple S3 868 support?

3. Xircom Ethernet Card

4. super(1) --- password problems

5. Xircom Ethernet Adaptors

6. Turning one Linux Box with XF863.3 into a X Terminal?

7. Xircom Ethernet Support?

8. What is the active screen?

9. Xircom Ethernet Drivers

10. Xircom Ethernet/Modem PCMCIA: non disclosure problem

11. XIRCOM Ethernet/Modem PCMCIA Card

12. Xircom ethernet adapters?

13. Xircom Ethernet Adapter Supported?