486 at 33 PANICS; 486 at 16 works

Post by H. Lawson Fish » Sun, 17 Oct 1993 05:37:27

I have a no-name clone PC with an AMI BIOS and SCSI disk. In the FAQ I saw
a note about problems with slow DRAMs and fast disks, which is what I have.
However, other than buying faster DRAMs (mine are 70nsec) there was no other
fix to the problem -- I think it's a DMA conflict.

Currently I'm running pl12 fine at 16Mhz, but I would like to go back to
something closer to 33Mhz without spending big$$. The system runs DOS fine.

I tried seting the BIOS to use wait states, but this did not change anything.

Any hints or suggestions welcomed! Should I go get a 25Mhx Xtal? Will LINUX
use wait states set up in the BIOS setup screen?

LINUX is great; this has been my only major block in getting the system up.
This computer is the email & Internet server for my kids' grade school. Once
I get my router working nueva.k12.pvt.edu will be online with 300 kids
exploring the net!

-----

1. Ether-16 (NE2000) works in 486/VLB not in P100/PCI

I have a 486/66 VLB machine with Ether-16 works fine.  I cannot get my
P100 PCI machine to see the card under Linux.  DOS and Windoze work fine
with the cards.  I've tried ether=10,0x340 (matches my setup under DOS).
I've also tried putting some trace printk()'s in the Space.c and ne.c
code but I've yet to see any of them hit.  Any ideas?

2. how2 port MULTITHREADED windows apps to Linux

3. Best OS for 486/33 SX w/ 32meg ram?

4. How do I create a fast-find database?

5. Linux vs. Gateway EISA 486/33

6. Kickstart RH 9 ... netstg1.img not found (on iso)

7. Linux on Compaq 486/33 laptop???

8. va_aaaaaaaarrgs

9. Linux on 486/33??

10. Performance on 486 dx 33 (3.1) ...

11. 486-33 as gateway

12. Intel DX4 for 486-33 and Linux, Anyone tried it?

13. Can I run Linux on 486-33 EISA?