REPOST: [SOLUTION] getting lpr/lpd to work

Post by Dave Johns » Fri, 21 Jan 1994 07:51:00

Date:       19 Jan 1994 22:38:15 CDT

Ken,

On 17-Jan you posted to c.o.l.h;

HK> File showing working print setup for HP LaserJet IIIp

Quote:> Print commands taken from sunsite.unc.edu: /pub/Linux/system/Daemons/lpd-5.
> NOTE: tcp/ip *MUST* be installed!
> Make sure there is a user and group defined for lp!
> I made lp a member of group daemon also.

Many thanks!! I read the printer FAQ and found nothing as helpful as your
post, had been looking for this info for over a month.

I have everything setup as you stated but I was unsure what my user
entry for lp should look like.  What would the useradd command look
like? Also what version of Linux are you running? I have 0.99.12.  I
noticed some differences in the files sizes you had listed.  Also
noticed in the /etc/services file that 35/tcp was not in there; the
515/tcp entry was there.
---

Post by Danek Duva » Tue, 25 Jan 1994 09:24:51

: NOTE: tcp/ip *MUST* be installed!

: /etc/services entries for printers:
: lp              35/tcp
: printer         515/tcp         spooler         # BSD lpd(8)

It's kinda strange... I had extreme problems getting lpd to start and
stay started (I had gotten one of the earliest slackware releases).
There was an error message I got when I started lpd, but that was it.
Nothing ever helped, until I strace'd the process, and realized that
it needed the 'printer' entry in /etc/services.  I created the file,
put the one line in, and everything worked ok.  Which makes me wonder
... does tcp/ip *really* need to be installed, or what?

Just my random $.01,
Danek

Post by Steven M. Gal » Tue, 25 Jan 1994 23:44:19

>: NOTE: tcp/ip *MUST* be installed!

>Nothing ever helped, until I strace'd the process, and realized that
>it needed the 'printer' entry in /etc/services.  I created the file,
>put the one line in, and everything worked ok.  Which makes me wonder
>... does tcp/ip *really* need to be installed, or what?

The lpd uses sockets (/tmp/.printer) so if these are part of tcp/ip then
yes, it must be installed.  I'm not sure if they are or not, though.  :(

Steve
--
Steven M. Gallo                         "...If you don't expect too much from
SUNY at Buffalo, Dept. of Comp. Sci.     me you might not be let down..."