upgrading to libc-4.4.4, gcc-2.4.5, and -mieee-fp

upgrading to libc-4.4.4, gcc-2.4.5, and -mieee-fp

Post by Hal N. Broo » Wed, 17 Nov 1993 03:53:03

Since I've advised people in the past that it was alright to upgrade
from rather old versions of the kernel, gcc, and libc, to current
versions without heeding the warnings of dependencies, I thought
I should mention the following oversight on my part.

I upgraded to libc-4.4.4 *before* upgrading to gcc-2.4.5, and
as a result, I overwrote the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.4.5/specs
file provided in image-4.4.4.tar.gz with the old one that was in
gcc-2.4.5-p1.tar.gz.

The only ill effect of this was that the gcc option "-mieee-fp" didn't
have the desired effect of forcing libieee.a to be linked.

This is just a note to warn everyone about this possibility.  If
your "specs" file is the correct one for use with gcc-2.4.5 and
libc-4.4.4, it should be 519 bytes rather than 500, and it should
have something about ieee in it.

1. newbie: upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5

greegings,

as a relative newbie to freebsd, I need help to upgrade my FreeBSD 4.4 to
4.5.  First, I used cvsup to update all src and ports:

*default host=cvsup2.ca.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_5
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all tag=RELENG_4_5
ports-all tag=.

I then edit the configure file to my liking.  However, when I tried to
compile the kernel with:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

I get the following error message:

mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf;
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL MYKERNEL
ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 400018, version required = 400019

Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
before trying this again.

If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

My questions are:

1) which package should I upgrade for "config".  More specifically, what's
the command to find out which package a file belongs to?

2) just exactly what are the procedures to upgrade both my kernel and
userland to 4.5?  I suppose it is:

        make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

        make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

for ther kernel land.  What about userland binaries?

any help is very much appreciated,

ECC

2. Apache: block greedy clients

3. remote upgrading 4.4 to 4.5

4. Information

5. Octek Rhino 9 and Cyrix P166+

6. Re : remote upgrading 4.4 to 4.5

7. dsb650 ethernet card

8. libc-4.4.4 upgrade

9. libc.so.4 for gcc-2.4.5?

10. BUG in gcc-2.4.5 and libc.so.4.3.3.

11. Failed install on laptop, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6.2

12. 4.4 -> 4.5