Freeze freeze freeze..

Post by Thorne Schuyler Franc » Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:02:10

I have two problems that really suck.
The first is:
I can run dip and get my slip connection working, but when someone tries
to telnet into my machine, it either gives them...

Trying 128.193.5.41...
Connected to 128.193.5.41.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

or it gives them the login, and you can proceed to login.
The first time it dosn't give them the log in or anything, just
connection closes on them.
Sometimes when I start linux people can't log in at all, and other times
it works fine. Other times it dosn't work at first then you might try
back again and it will work. It dosn't matter if you use the ip# or the
name address.

My second problem is:

Stupid think FREEZES!
Everytime I start up linux and get on my slip, it will freeze after about
5 minutes. There are no messages and no warnings, it just freezes and I
can't do anything.

Please reply if you have any ideas what the hell is wrong!

Thanks in advance.

1. can't read proc/PID/environ or other - top and vmstat freeze - soft reboot freeze

Hello,

we have production servers (2 CPU) running RedHat 7.1 kernel 2.4.14
SMP on which we use Apache-Tomcat and our code. We run between 500 and
1000 (peak time) processes at any time.
After 30-50K requests, we're seeing a large and steady load increase
(1 per minute) even after we divert all traffic to other servers.
sar says that the server is idle...
This happens on all servers, at different times...

The strange thing is that we can't read the /proc/PID/ files on some
PIDs...
top and vmstat freeze... We can't kill these processes and we can't
issue a reboot command. The only way to cure that condition is a hard
reboot.

Here's the end of a "strace cat /proc/$PID/environ" command:

fstat64(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 108), ...}) = 0
open("environ", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE)   = 3
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0400, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
brk(0x8051000)                          = 0x8051000
read(3,

It stops here... The process is frozen. ctrl-C doesn't work.

Has anyone seen that behavior before?

Thank you

Jean-Francois Normand
System Administrator
MVM

2. DHCP oddities with Cable Modem

3. kfm freezes and stays frozen if DOShda is accessed

4. X-Windows with S3 Trio3D

5. Hard freezes with SCSI card, no freezes without?

6. Can't start init

7. System freeze

8. mp3player

9. Kernel 2.4.7 freezes during init (debian-potato)

10. Zip Plus Freezes Computer with Kernel 2.0.36

11. dhcp freeze

12. Often freeze ups after motherboard swap

13. X-Windows freezes computer