Problems with TightVNC, KDE 3.1, and Mandrake 9.1

Problems with TightVNC, KDE 3.1, and Mandrake 9.1

Post by Bryan Phinne » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 08:46:07

I am relatively new to Linux, only been using it for about 6 months now. I
recently upgraded to Mandrake 9.1 from 9.0 and ever since then I have been
having problems trying to access KDE in a TightVNC session tunnelled
through SSH.  I did this successfully under Mandrake 9.0 with everything
the same but something is obviously changed.  I was hoping that someone
else might have had similar problems and know the answer.

My setup is, Mandrake 9.1 with KDE 3.1, using TightVNC distributed with the
9.1 release.  I have an Nvidia GEForce 4 ti 4600 and I am running the
Nvidia drivers compiled for my kernel and the GLX extensions but even when
I move back to vanilla nv drivers that come with XFree 4, I still get the
same errors.  KDE runs just fine on the local desktop, the only time I get
errors is when attempting to run it in a VNC session.  I am tunneling a
session through SSH by forwarding the local port.  I can run Gnome just
fine, as well as Icewm.  However, KDE never comes up and produces a long
list of errors.  Normally, I wouldn't bother with this, but I have been
using Kmail for my mail program and don't want to convert over to another
mail program just to be able to check mail from outside my home.  Also, I
do use KDE as my dm at home and it would be nice to be able to use it
through vnc as well.  It especially bothers me that I did all this before
just fine with the same setup but now I can not.  Probably something
obvious that I am being obtuse about but hopefully someone here can correct
me.

I will include a short snippet below:

Error while reading Indicator status
startkde: Starting up...
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
kbuildsycoca running...

Server has no DPMS extension

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

*** kdesktop (2895) got signal 11
WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
parameter) \x09
  Major opcode:  \x0e
kicker: crashHandler called
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2898' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":1.0".
*** KGet got signal 11
DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'anonymous-2917' to 'kget'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":1.0".
WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
parameter) \x09
  Major opcode:  \x0e
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2923' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
*** kdesktop (2907) got signal 11

....much more of the same

If anyone can shed any light on these problems and point me in the right
direction, it would be very much appreciated.