ctrl-alt-del when using X

Post by David Gaudi » Fri, 01 Apr 1994 06:42:58

I need to be able to reboot my Linux system using ctrl-alt-del, even when
X is running.  Currently when X is running I have to use ctrl-alt-bksp
and then ctrl-alt-del.  That wouldn't be a problem, except that DOS
users have priority on the system, and when a DOS user comes along and
ctrl-alt-del doesn't work he tends to reach for the reset button.

I note that with Linux, the reset button or a power failure is
usually harmful, unlike my DECStation/ultrix which usually survives
such treatment unscathed.
David Gaudine, Programmer, EMC Lab
Concordia University, Loyola Campus, Montreal

ctrl-alt-del when using X

Post by Alan C » Sat, 02 Apr 1994 02:44:17

>and then ctrl-alt-del.  That wouldn't be a problem, except that DOS
>users have priority on the system, and when a DOS user comes along and
>ctrl-alt-del doesn't work he tends to reach for the reset button.

>I note that with Linux, the reset button or a power failure is
>usually harmful, unlike my DECStation/ultrix which usually survives
>such treatment unscathed.

I think you'll find the effects (at least with an up to date system
and ext2fs are similar but ultrix is quieter about fixing its disk and
gets on with the job instead of hassling you with millions of not quite
perfect warnings.

To be honest I'd just unplug the reset button 8-)

I don't see any other solutions unless XModmap'ing the ctrl-alt-xxxx
sequences works, other than rebuilding the X server, which is a two line
fix and 50Mb of compiling!

Alan

1. cannot change resolution using Ctrl-Alt+KP_- and Ctrl-Alt+KP_+

From various sources I know that I can do such resolution switching with
XFree86, but I can't.
However, I can restart X using Ctrl-Alt-BS.
I suspect something is wrong with the keypad, as I can't use it as Del,
Pg Up, Pg Dn, etc in num-lock-off mode.

I'm using RedHat 5.1 and a typical Acer keyboard.

2. modem call internet help....

3. How to diable "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from Normal Users?

4. CD-ROM Applications Vender for X/Linux

5. Why does't my box shutdown on a ctrl-alt-del.

6. Problems with FreeBSD

7. Disable shutdown by ctrl-alt-del, HOW?

8. Q: umsdos installation

9. RH 7.1 new install hangs on ctrl-alt-del shutdown

10. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang

11. Ctrl-Alt-Del

12. ctrl-alt-del

13. How to diable "Ctrl-Alt-Del" from normal users?