HELP O' NET GURUS: Networking problems with SLIP and 0.99pl12

HELP O' NET GURUS: Networking problems with SLIP and 0.99pl12

Post by Mark Kass » Sun, 19 Sep 1993 08:13:31

I've been having networking problems with SLS 1.03, 0.99pl12, running SLIP.
This problem has manifested itself in many forms.  I've got my mtu set to
600, but I've tried other values... no success.  Basically, the problem is
that transfers from the local host to the remote host fail whether using NFS,
rcp, or ftptool, whereas transfers from the remote host to the local host are
successful.

1) NFS mounting:
================

I can successfully mount a partition from our Suns at school on my Linux
(home) over SLIP.  I can browse through the mounted partition, cat-ing files,
etc...  When I try to copy a file from my Linux machine onto the mounted
partition, it seems to work for small files but gives an error for large
files.  Here's an example session:

Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda4             226380  182528    32533     85%   /
/dev/hda1             163552  105792    57760     65%   /dos
defiant:/.export.home/mark
                      201167  125661    55390     69%   /home/vlsi/mark

-r--r--r--   1 bin      bin            69 Aug  1 10:58 /etc/motd

-r--r--r--   1 mark     vlsi           69 Aug  1 10:58 motd

* At this point, everything seems to be fine.  I managed to copy this small
* file.  Now try to copy a larger file.

cp: ./zImage: Invalid argument

* Now it gives this strange error.  It seems to give the same error for all
* large files whereas small files get copied successfully.
* On the other hand, when copying files from Sun to Linux, they get copied
* successfully no matter how large.

2) Transferring files using rcp:
================================

If I rcp a file from the Sun to my Linux machine, all goes well.  However,
when I try to do the opposite (i.e. transfer a file from Linux to Sun), a
part of the file is transferred after which rcp just hangs

3) Transferring files using ftptool 4.3b3:

Regular ftp seems to work fine.  However, when using the latest ftptool to
transfer files from the local host to the remote host, and after part of the
file is transferred (typically after 150K or so), the tool gives as error
which is something like:

Write on remote host failed.  Disk full?

The disk is certainly not full, and I have no quota limitations.

Any ideas anyone?  I'm totally clueless.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark Kassab       | Lab  : (514)398-3937           | Keep  stress  out  of your
MACS Laboratory   | Home : (514)934-3718           | life.   Give  it to others

Post by Charles Hedri » Sun, 19 Sep 1993 17:01:26

>I've been having networking problems with SLS 1.03, 0.99pl12, running SLIP.
>This problem has manifested itself in many forms.  I've got my mtu set to
>600, but I've tried other values... no success.  Basically, the problem is
>that transfers from the local host to the remote host fail whether using NFS,
>rcp, or ftptool, whereas transfers from the remote host to the local host are
>successful.

I wonder if you're having flow control problems or are overrunning a
buffer somewhere.  Modern modems tend to be setup up with tty speeds
faster than the effective line speed, so they require that hardware
flow control work.  I'd check the settings on the modems, and also
make sure that flow control is enabled on your machine, the machine at
the other end, and both modems.

HELP O' NET GURUS: Networking problems with SLIP and 0.99pl12

Post by Brian Stempi » Tue, 21 Sep 1993 04:51:04

I wonder if it isn't related to several other problems I have had with
SLIP. Things like:
 rcp doesn't work, it will transfer about 4K and then lock up.
 ftpd will not let me get file from my Linux box. I can put, or send from
      the Linux box. But, I can't get.
 fsp wont work for files/directory listing over a few K.

I have asked on the NET channel about these before, but I guess that SLIP
isn't given very high priority with all the other problems NET-2 has.
Sounds like net-bsd is the way to go....

--
                                                         Brian Stempien
                                            Western Michigan University

                                           Voice:  (616)-387-5848

Post by Alan C » Thu, 23 Sep 1993 01:21:51

>>I've been having networking problems with SLS 1.03, 0.99pl12, running SLIP.
>>This problem has manifested itself in many forms.  I've got my mtu set to
>>600, but I've tried other values... no success.  Basically, the problem is
>>that transfers from the local host to the remote host fail whether using NFS,
>>rcp, or ftptool, whereas transfers from the remote host to the local host are
>>successful.

>I wonder if you're having flow control problems or are overrunning a
>buffer somewhere.  Modern modems tend to be setup up with tty speeds
>faster than the effective line speed, so they require that hardware
>flow control work.  I'd check the settings on the modems, and also
>make sure that flow control is enabled on your machine, the machine at
>the other end, and both modems.

TCP doesn't fail when there are odd overruns. NFS fails because NET2D
does the sun * of not using UDP checksums. Turn these on and
recompile and things will be ok. There will be a tradeoff for speed v
number of packets lost, but no corruption.
Oh and never up the mtu of a connected slip link with 0.99.12 or 13, it
corrupts memory.

Alan

Post by Alan C » Thu, 23 Sep 1993 02:17:05

>I wonder if it isn't related to several other problems I have had with
>SLIP. Things like:
> rcp doesn't work, it will transfer about 4K and then lock up.
> ftpd will not let me get file from my Linux box. I can put, or send from
>      the Linux box. But, I can't get.
> fsp wont work for files/directory listing over a few K.

FSP uses large UDP packets. Linux doesn't yet support udp fragmentation.
Using a slip mtu of about 1500 should cure this one providing you have
a reliable link (use mtu 1500 in DIP before you do mode SLIP)
Quote:

>I have asked on the NET channel about these before, but I guess that SLIP
>isn't given very high priority with all the other problems NET-2 has.
>Sounds like net-bsd is the way to go....

Debatable, there is little wrong with NET2 in Linux 0.99.13. A lot is
actually things like tty driver bugs (now fixed). There are bugs
(serious bugs) in 0.99.12/13 networking but everyone seemed to be off
fixing the new even more featured (and totally buggy NET2E4 ALPHA).
I got fed up with this and fixed a fair bit of stuff - not everything
but it seems to stop most crashes. If you want get 0.99.13 and the
new rlogind/telnetd, then install my net2-debugged stuff off sunsite
(probably still in incoming) and let me know if it helps.
Ditto for anyone else with similar problems.

1. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

Hello Linuxers,

I try to install networking in SLS .99pl12. I've installed packages a + b1 (that includes tcpip). I then modified the file /etc/hosts like this:

146.136.1.99    modem1
146.136.1.0     network

I set /etc/host to modem1
and /etc/domain to ntb.ch

the I did a reboot:

by executing /etc/rc.net there is the following error message:

SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

if I do a /etc/ifconfig all seems to look proper.

I tried to start networking without /etc/rc.net by first installing loopback device and the device eth0.

ifconfig eth0 146.136.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 146.136.1.255

(netmask is correct)

route add 146.136.1.99   ---->  SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

the ethernet card is a WD8003 and is correctly detected at boot time.

What's Wrong ???

Please send e-mail

thanks thomas

---

2. 'csh -f file' reads .cshrc on startup--feature or bug?

3. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem..

4. Question for sh.

5. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem...

6. samba & using printers on user-level security win95! NO GURU'S ANYMORE?

7. Network problems with 0.99pl12+

8. dhcp client not working

9. DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

10. Q: 0.99pl12 route add problem, SIOCADDRT: network is unreachable

11. samba: 'net view \\server' works, 'net view' fails

12. SLIP at 0.99pl12?

13. Linux 0.99pl12 and NET-2