internal modem with Rockwell chip using irq 5 does not beep?

internal modem with Rockwell chip using irq 5 does not beep?

Post by JyiJiin L » Wed, 03 Nov 1993 13:05:58

Recently I added a dumb terminal to my 486 running linux
0.99p113(slackware distribution). The serial setup is:

        /dev/cau0: irq 4, mouse
        /dev/cua1: irq 3, terminal
        /dev/cua2: irq 5, internal 2400 modem with Rockwell chip

Everything works fine except that the modem does not give any sound
when I use kermit to dial (command ATDT). The connection and transfer
of file does not cause trouble at all. When I use bitcom under DOS
with the same setup(com3, irq 5), the modem just beeps loud and no
problem was encountered. The serial FAQ said the Rockwell chip will
cause trouble, but I am not sure whether it's my problem, or the
problem of Rockwell chip. Does any one know what's causing this
problem?

BTW, the serserial(ver 2.01) command in my setup is:
  setserial /dev/cua2 uart 16450 irq 5 spe_cust divisor 48

and the 'setserial -ag' reports info. as below:

/dev/cua2, Line 2, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 5
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 48
        Flags: spd_cust skip_test

I don't know if the Rockwell chip number will help or not. Anyway, it's:
        RC 224AT/1
        R6622-17
        (c)Rockwell 89
        9206 A12774-2
        Mexico

internal modem with Rockwell chip using irq 5 does not beep?

Post by JyiJiin L » Wed, 03 Nov 1993 14:49:34

Sorry about my previous stupid question. I disabled the speaker
monitor(ATM0) before, and forgot to reset the modem. This is really
embarrassing.  I didn't notice that kermit does not reset the modem
after quitting the program.

Luo

1. Internal config: what's wrong with Rockwell chips?

In previous posts I asked for help with setting up a 14.4K internal
modem for dial-up.  Everything seemed to initialize correctly, but when
the modem answered the phone uugetty would not spawn login.  I also
couldn't download using the same modem to dial other systems.

Well, I came across the comments in the serial.c file and in the source
to setserial that talk about problems with Rockwell chipsets, but there's
no details given.  My modem is using Rockwell chips, and is supposed to
have a 16550 compatiable UART, which setserial doesn't detect and which
appears to be the cause of the problems.  Could someone please elaborate
on what the problem is with Rockwell modem chips and what I might be able
to do about it?
Thanks,
-Paul

2. PC ANSI TERMCAP

3. Rockwell chip PCI Modem (me too :-( )

4. Glibc-2.1.1pre3 installation hint

5. Using Transport XKE internal M1200 modem with Linux--Can it be done???

6. Mgetty (no processes left?)

7. EPSON STYLUS 740 CONFIG + ROCKWELL INTERNAL PCI MODEM

8. (Q) Compiling new kernel under RedHat

9. Rockwell 56K Internal PCI modem support?

10. Rockwell PCI Internal 56K Modem

11. Mandrake 8.0 + Modem Rockwell PCI Internal

12. pppd with Rockwell HCF PCI Internal modem

13. Help-Cirrus internal modem will not negotiate after dialing (using ppp)