XRN+term?

Post by Jorge Polo -FT » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 06:15:42

Is there an X based News Reader with Term built-in available?

Thanks,

-Jorge Polo

Jorge Polo                      |                                1 3 5 R
Intel Corp, Az                  |                                |-|-|--
'Not speaking for Intel'        |                 Z28...         2 4 6

XRN+term?

Post by Robert J. Shm » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 07:24:17

Quote:

>Is there an X based News Reader with Term built-in available?

yeah, all of them. to read news (NNTP based newsreader) just take the nntp
line out of your inetd.conf. restart inetd. once thats done, start up term
and `tredir 119 my.nntp.host:119' on your local command prompt, set your
NNTPSERVER environment variable to `localhost' and start up your newsreader.
(this may sound complicated, but you only have to do the tredir
consistently, all the other changes last) this was all in the Term-HOWTO,
for future reference.
--
+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------------

+--------------------------+ #include <sigs/witty.h>
| Robert J. Shmit          | #include <sigs/insightful.h>

XRN+term?

Post by Byron A Je » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 23:45:12

>>Is there an X based News Reader with Term built-in available?

>yeah, all of them. to read news (NNTP based newsreader) just take the nntp
>line out of your inetd.conf. restart inetd. once thats done, start up term
>and `tredir 119 my.nntp.host:119' on your local command prompt, set your
>NNTPSERVER environment variable to `localhost' and start up your newsreader.
>(this may sound complicated, but you only have to do the tredir
>consistently, all the other changes last) this was all in the Term-HOWTO,
>for future reference.

The only problem with this is that newsreaders aren't smart enough to know
when they're being utilized by a slow link. I've tried both trn and tin
over term and I find them unbearably slow because they were designed to
read news over a fast link. Because of this they do things like get the
headers to each and every article in a newsgroup before presenting any
to you and wait until you selected everything before transferring articles.

What is needed is a smarter way to select and transfer articles over a slow
link. The basic optimization is simple:

1) Present the user with a partial display while continuing to transfer
   headers/articles.

Since the bandwidth is small and the user spends much time reading, the link
needs to be utilized while the read is reading.

No current newsreader does this.

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

XRN+term?

Post by Jonathan Kame » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 11:26:52

|> The only problem with this is that newsreaders aren't smart enough to know
|> when they're being utilized by a slow link.

Bzz!  The most recent beta release of XRN is.

|> No current newsreader does this.

Bzz!  XRN does.

XRN does prefetching -- it displays the first part of the current article and
then starts prefetching the next article while you're looking at it (unless it
decides that your network link is so slow that prefetching the next article
would cause an unacceptable delay).  Furthermore, while you're reading one
newsgroup, it prefetches the Subject, From and Lines headers for the next
newsgroup from the news server.

The prefetching isn't perfect -- it uses Xt work procedures instead of being
interrupt-driven or using threads, so there *are* occasionally delays in the
response time of the interface.  However, it does dynamically adjust the size
of each chunk of data retrieved from the server, to minimize the delay.

Try <URL:ftp://ftp.cam.ov.com/pub/xrn/beta.tgz>, if you want source code, or
<URL:ftp://ftp.cam.ov.com/pub/xrn/xrn-linux.tgz> if you want a binary Linux
distribution.

XRN+term?

Post by Karl Rung » Tue, 14 Feb 1995 13:31:51

> yeah, all of them. to read news (NNTP based newsreader) just take the nntp
> line out of your inetd.conf. restart inetd. once thats done, start up term
> and `tredir 119 my.nntp.host:119' on your local command prompt, set your
> NNTPSERVER environment variable to `localhost' and start up your newsreader.
> (this may sound complicated, but you only have to do the tredir
> consistently, all the other changes last) this was all in the Term-HOWTO,
> for future reference.

Another possibility, one that I use with term > 2.2, is to just
termify the xrn binary. Works fine except I never got the
reply to via email to work, posting works fine.

xrn is nice in that it does some prefetching and allows you to
catchup groups w/o downloading the headers (unlike netscape, but
netscape does have some nice news properties, clickable URL's
being one of them...)

Karl

1. xrn and term

Could anyone tell how to setup xrn to work with term, so that I would
run xrn locally and get news over term link (just like with mosaic).
Can this be done either by modifying the source or by using tredir ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Samir Jauda                     University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

2. LCD and dot clocks.

3. Xrn Binary for Term+Linux [X11R5]

4. cmi8738

5. TERM: best way to send/receive mail over term?

6. Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

7. Failed to connect to term socket '/home/sjw/.term/socket

8. partition: how to reduce size ?

9. Term: Failed to connect to term socket... HELP!

10. txconn hangs term link [term-2.0h]

11. Sun to Linux via term, NOGO: term < /dev/ttyb > /dev/ttyb,

12. Best linux-unix link, pppd-slirp or term-term?

13. ftpd-term - ftp daemon for term