New US Robotics modem won't dial; browser won't find web pages

New US Robotics modem won't dial; browser won't find web pages

Post by Gibson Nichol » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 20:55:32

I've got a successful connection with my new US Robotics modem (model 6510B)
using the debug option of the dial configuration (in Red Hat 7.2). It gets a
good PPP
connection.  However, I can't connect using the
PPP dialer.  It won't even dial. How do I get the dialer to dial?

Also, even when the dial configuration debug gets a connection the browser
won't find any web pages (when I've connected using debug).
I've added the domain name server IP address to the configuration.  What
else can I do to get the browser (any browser) to find web pages?

--
Per Ford Motor Company's Corporate Security Manual section 2.4.25: "the
opinions expressed in the article are the opinions of the author, not of

1. US Robotics 28.8 won't work!

I've just replaced my 14.4 modem with a USRobotics 28.8 and have
been having some bad problems.  Whenever I try to access the modem,
nothing happens, but I get an error message in my /var/log/messages file
that says "pppd [215] tcgetattr: I/O error".  Seyon and minicom are
also in non-working order with this modem.  It *does* however, work with
win95 (unfortunately).  Is this a modem that is known not to work with
linux???  (I've tried two kernels so far, but get the same
message---1.3.74 and 1.3.89 both don't work)

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Halverson

2. Lilo says 2.4.0 compilation is 'too big' ?

3. Problem with modem US Robotics 56k Win modem

4. ANNOUNCE: Storix System Backups for AIX & Linux - New Version 4.1

5. HELP: pppd won't talk to modem, and won't link up with ISP

6. Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro support in XFree

7. US Robotic won't dial out

8. How to execute Mac-OS-X executables on Linux?

9. Konqueror Web Browser, File Manager won't start...

10. WIN A FREE US ROBOTICS 28.8 MODEM

11. Is US Robotics 28.8 Modem Kit for Win 95 Supported Under Linux?

12. *** WIN A FREE US ROBOTICS 28.8 MODEM *****

13. HELP!Any Support for US Robotics 56K Win Modem