HELP: PLIP problems with Soundblaster PRO sound card

HELP: PLIP problems with Soundblaster PRO sound card

Post by Richard Fro » Wed, 20 Apr 1994 04:12:17

I have sent this message to the supposed author of the PLIP code

(I sent it over 2 weeks ago). I have posted this on the newsgroup
before and I never had a response on this. B-( So I am trying
once again!.

There HAS to be someone out there that has a soundcard AND runs PLIP!!

Here is my problem:

  I have a SoundBlaster PRO sound card, which (I beleive) is
  causing PLIP to fail, it is currently configured for IRQ _5_.

  PLIP tells me at system boot up that it is using IRQ 7,
  so I would not expect there to be any IRQ conflict.

  After MUCH experimenting, I have narrowed down the problem to my
  sound card - basically if the sound card is IN, PLIP fails,
  (PINGs dont work at all, in fact the other computer I connect to locks up).
  if the sound card is taken OUT, PLIP works fine.

  I tried alternate IRQ's for the Sound card and that did not help.

  My guess is that PLIP will fail with any card that uses IRQ 5
  (ie a bus mouse). I suspect the auto IRQ detect code is buggy.

  If you know of a patch to fix this, I'd really want to know about it!

  Thanks in advance.

  Please email any replies.

--
   .------.   Richard Frost                   _--_|\             .------.

(| |------|   Ph/Fax: +61-8-201-3651/3507    \_.--*_/ Sth Aust.  |------| |)
)) |      | _________________________._____________v____________ |      | (\
CSIRO/Flinders Joint Research Centre |URL http://www.jrc.flinders.edu.au/

HELP: PLIP problems with Soundblaster PRO sound card

Post by Johannes Stil » Mon, 25 Apr 1994 22:49:34

[...]

Quote:>Here is my problem:

>  I have a SoundBlaster PRO sound card, which (I beleive) is
>  causing PLIP to fail, it is currently configured for IRQ _5_.

>  PLIP tells me at system boot up that it is using IRQ 7,
>  so I would not expect there to be any IRQ conflict.

So you're using plip1. But this doesn't really matter. Anyway, if PLIP
tells you that it uses IRQ 7, it really means so. There is no IRQ
autodetection for PLIP (impossible from the hardware side).

Quote:>  After MUCH experimenting, I have narrowed down the problem to my
>  sound card - basically if the sound card is IN, PLIP fails,
>  (PINGs dont work at all, in fact the other computer I connect to locks up).

Yes, the Linux PLIP driver is known to be broken and can cause the
machine to lock up. Complain to Alan Cox about this.

Quote:>  if the sound card is taken OUT, PLIP works fine.

This means that that PLIP uses IRQ 7 and only IRQ 7. It works, so the
PLIP configuration is correct.

Quote:>  I tried alternate IRQ's for the Sound card and that did not help.

So this means that the sound card is broken and can't really disable
IRQ 7. (Yes, such stupid hardware problems do sometimes exist in the PC
world. I once had a floppy controller that could be disabled by jumper,
but did still hog the DMA channel. About nobody uses IRQ 7 in the DOS
world, so the error might go unnoticed for a long time.)

Quote:>  My guess is that PLIP will fail with any card that uses IRQ 5
>  (ie a bus mouse). I suspect the auto IRQ detect code is buggy.

No, IRQ 5 has nothing to do with this. There is no IRQ autodetect code
for PLIP.

[...]

I propose that you check whether your printer port can be jumpered for
IRQ 5. If so, do this, edit drivers/net/Space.c to configure plip1 for
IRQ 5 instead of 7, recompile the kernel, install the new kernel (don't
forget to run LILO) and try again with the sound card configured to
IRQ 7.

        Johannes

1. Help with SoundBlaster Pro clone sound card

I have a Packard Bell, which means that most of the parts are clones.  I am
running RedHat 5.0 and am having problems with my sound card.  The card is made
by Aztech and is supposed to be a SoundBlaster Pro clone.  Does anyone know if
a driver exists to operate this card under Linux?

2. Help: X windows

3. IRQ problems with MAD 16 PRO sound card... HELP!

4. Dell Dimsion XPS II and AGP Video Cards

5. HELP:MAD16 Pro Sound Card volume problem

6. NEC: Wingine Chipset for XFree86 3.1 - Any info?

7. HELP: MAD16 Pro Sound Card Problem

8. Errors reported by fsck.

9. Help!Problems with MAD16 PRO sound card...

10. HELP:MAD16 Pro Sound Card volume problem

11. soundblaster pro card midi problem

12. Problem with Soundblaster PRO compatible card

13. Help required with Soundblaster PnP sound card