Linux and the IBM Aptiva?

Post by Itai Nahsh » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 05:46:35

I want to buy a PC and I would like to run Linux on it.
Currently the IBM Aptiva is the prefered platform. I would
like to know if anyone has tried to install and run Linux on any
of the Aptiva models.
Any problems with installation/booting/running? How these problems
were corrected? Which machine model was used? Which version of
Linux/X11?
Comparing the Linux and X11 requirements with the hardware details,
I believe it should be possibble but I would like to learn from
others' experience.

Thank you very much,

Itai nahshon
Haifa, Israel

1. Linux on an IBM Aptiva?

I'm considering buying an Aptiva, one of the new S series (yes it is the
look _and_ the feel of the keyboard that got me).  But I would primarily
be running Linux on it.  I was wondering whether anyone here has had any
experience with Linux on an Aptiva.  To be quite frank, I probably won't
be doing any serious computing, but I'd like a workstation setup andd
I'm more comfortable in an Unix environment.  I'd probably be opting for
either a S76 or an S78.  They have a 200 Mhz Pentium (not MMX though).

So, just wondering, anyone have comments, suggestions, warnings?

(Yes, I agree an Alpha is ideal, but I really don't have 10K).

--

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after you.

2. "xinit: can't find library 'libX11.so.6'" What's wrong?

3. Linux on IBM Aptiva M55

4. How Do I Make A Bootable Linux CD?

5. New IBM Aptiva M40 and Linux compatibility?

6. Ensoniq AudioPCI

7. Linux on IBM Aptiva

8. A question

9. IBM Aptiva 2156 and Linux 6.1 (Mandrake / RedHat)

10. New IBM Aptiva Pentium 75 to run LINUX

11. Linux + IBM Aptiva CD-ROM "media console"

12. IBM Aptiva series and Linux

13. Anyone using Linux on IBM Aptiva ?