VirtualPC

Post by Chris Robert » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:03:26

Hi,

I've just installed Debian on a 'Virtual PC' using VirtualPC for Windows
from connectix.

I'm having trouble getting XFree86 to run though - I keep getting an error
message saying that no monitors were detected.

Has anyone else come accross this?

Any ideas what graphics card / monitor I should choose?  (If it's any help
I'm running on a laptop)

Cheers,

- Chris

VirtualPC

Post by Walter A. Lüth » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:47:12

> I'm having trouble getting XFree86 to run though - I keep getting an error
> message saying that no monitors were detected.

> Has anyone else come accross this?

Oh yes. I means that XFree86 isn't configured properly (assuming that
your hardware actually works with XFree86).

Quote:> Any ideas what graphics card / monitor I should choose?  (If it's any help
> I'm running on a laptop)

I'd suggest you choose the graphics card / the monitor you've actually got.

Walter

--
Auch das Concubinat ist corrumpirt worden: - durch die Ehe.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Jenseits von Gut und B?se

1. FreeBSD + VirtualPC on a Macintosh (no, really)

I've got a Macintosh G3 (aka PowerPC 750) with VirtualPC that I'd like to use to
run FreeBSD.  Unfortunately, I've run into problems which I'm hoping someone
might be able to help with (Connectix's support staff have not replied to my
question, and a search of DejaNews didn't help any either).

The crux of the matter is that the FreeBSD installer doesn't recognize
VirtualPC's primary IDE drive/controller, which makes it pretty tough to install
the OS.  :-)  Oddly enough, the installer *does* recognize the secondary IDE
controller (i.e. the CD ROM).

For what it's worth, Win95 thinks that the primary drive controller is an
82371FB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller, IRQ 14, i/o ports at 1F0-1F7, 3F6,
1000-1007.

For those who are tempted to blurt out that it's hopeless, I should also point
out that VirtualPC does support DOS/Windows 3.x/Windows 95/Windows NT, OS/2,
OpenStep, *and* RedHat Linux (x86-based, of course).

I should also point out that I know about LinuxPPC, mkLinux, and Tenon's
MachTen, but what I really do want to do is run FreeBSD under VirtualPC on my
Mac desktop (at least until Rhapsody ships).

So, if there's anyone out there that has managed to get FreeBSD working under
VirtualPC, I'd love to hear about it.  Anybody?  Anyone?  Bueller?

-Roy

--
http://www.execulink.com/~rrwood

2. rsh from a linux to a AIX 4.3.2 hangs

3. VirtualPC w/Linux vs. LinuxPPC

4. Changing IP

5. Linux with VirtualPC, Help Needed

6. reconfiguring SUSE 6.2 system

7. VirtualPC and MINIX

8. Sanyo IDE CDROM Drive not recognized

9. i386 on VirtualPC (mac)

10. linux on virtualPC 2

11. Networking between VirtualPC and a Linux guest...is it possible?

12. > linux and virtualpc

13. Red Hat 5.0 on VirtualPC 1.x - help?