Ping==nfs==good, telnet+others!=good

Post by Anthony To » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 20:59:08

Help...

I have just installed some network cards and cabling into our house and am
having a little difficulty.

After installing the cards I booted the system and it reported the card
initializing properly. I then set up the host names and bits that needed
doing in /etc/hosts, exports and hosts.allow and now we can ping the other
machine and we cross mount user partitions without any difficulty.

The problem involves telnet, ftp, finger and associated packages.  When you
try to telnet it gets the IP address and waits until time out. For example

saunders# telnet spiders
Trying 192.0.2.128...

and about 30 secs later

telnet: Connection timed out.

Ftp is very similar, and the ends are reversable (ie telnet from spiders to
saunders).  I have tried to telnet to myself (saunders to saunders) and that
works fine.  I tried to run inetd with the -d flag and that seems to be
working fine.

Does anyone have any help?

Thanks

Anthony.

ps. Linux=1.1.54
    dist=Slackware 2.0.2

    network=NE1000 clones (they were free)

--
The views expressed within are based on my opinions and don't reflect those
of the establishment.

1. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

hi,all
   I have a question about 'ping' work with netfilter.How can I
ban the icmp echo message out and still can send icmp request message
out and can recieve the icmp echo message at the same time.e.g.
I wish I can ping other computer which don't ban icmp echo,but I
also want my computer can't respond the 'ping' from others.I use
iptables.can I?
    Thanks in Advance.

2. windows 2000 and samba 2.2.2 printing problem

3. PLEASE HELP: PING, DNS AND NSLOOKUP - NSLOOKUP GOOD PING BAD

4. Bug tracking SW

5. Hoaxes -- "Good Times" and others

6. sound on Toshiba T4850CT

7. 4 is good. .00000001% is good.

8. SMC Etherpower Card Install

9. good for windows = good for X11?

10. Good Enough to Sleep With but not Good Enough to Marry?

11. solaris 2.3: good and not so good

12. WinLinux2001 - Good for newbies? Good at all?

13. Not a good read (Was RE:A good read)