POP mail client for linux?

Post by v.. » Sun, 16 Oct 1994 15:15:00

Does anyone out there know of a POP mail client that will work for
Linux?

I'm looking for something along the lines of Eudora for Mac&Windows
and NUPop for DOS.

-- VG
--

WWW Home Page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/vxg

POP mail client for linux?

Post by m.. » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 12:48:10

: Does anyone out there know of a POP mail client that will work for
: Linux?

: I'm looking for something along the lines of Eudora for Mac&Windows
: and NUPop for DOS.

: -- VG
: --

: WWW Home Page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/vxg

   You can get the program like popclient in the system/mail directory
on sunsite.  Basically, this program moves mail from the pop server to
the mail directory on you local machine.  After you run popclient, you
can basically read mail with the standard unix mail programs.(elm, pine,
etc.)
   I don't think your going to finds anything as fancy as the DOS+
windows+Mac stuff, but you'll find that most unix stuff has all the
feature+more.

POP mail client for linux?

Post by Dan Ciarniel » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 14:52:25

   : Does anyone out there know of a POP mail client that will work for
   : Linux?

   : I'm looking for something along the lines of Eudora for Mac&Windows
   : and NUPop for DOS.

   : -- VG
   : --

   : WWW Home Page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/vxg

      You can get the program like popclient in the system/mail directory
   on sunsite.  Basically, this program moves mail from the pop server to
   the mail directory on you local machine.  After you run popclient, you
   can basically read mail with the standard unix mail programs.(elm, pine,
   etc.)
      I don't think your going to finds anything as fancy as the DOS+
   windows+Mac stuff, but you'll find that most unix stuff has all the
   feature+more.

I can't seem to get popclient working properly.  If I run it I get the
following message:

<22:44>{lark}[~](6)popclient -u dcia unixg
Enter mailserver password:
UCB Pop server (Version 1.831beta) at unixg.ubc.ca starting.
1 messages in folder
reading message 1.
uid = 501, user = dan, mailname = /var/spool/mail/dan
deadletter = /home/dan/dead.letter, mailrc = /home/dan/.mailrc, mbox = /home/dan/mbox
Recipients of message:
 "smail" "dan"

The trouble is, the retrieved mail seems to be redirected to /dev/null
since I never see it.  If I instead do

popclient -u dcia unixg -c

The messages are redirected to stdout and I can read them.  This is,
however, an awkward workaround and I'd rather get the mail put
directly into my mailbox.  If anyone has any suggestions I would
appreciate them.

Dan Ciarniello

flames > /dev/null

POP mail client for linux?

Post by Robert Ransbott » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 06:24:13

>The trouble is, the retrieved mail seems to be redirected to /dev/null
>since I never see it.  If I instead do
>popclient -u dcia unixg -c
>The messages are redirected to stdout and I can read them.  This is,

Specify the output file on the command line.   I think this
is the '-o' option.  Check the fine man page.

rob

POP mail client for linux?

Post by Frederick J. Dick » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 14:09:57

>>The trouble is, the retrieved mail seems to be redirected to /dev/null
>>since I never see it.

I got into this thread a little late. If you're using the same popclient
that I am, then I know what the cause of your problem is. The popclient
code transfers mail from the POP server to your mailbox by means of the
shell command "mail -u %s" (I'm working from memory here), where "%s" is
replaced by your user name. Apparently, on the system used by the guy
who wrote popclient, the above command means "mail a message to user %s".
On a Linux system, it means "read the mail of user %s". This is why your
mail disappears. Popclient is reading your mail on your Linux box instead
of forwarding mail from the POP server to you. What I did was replace
"mail -u %s' by "smail %s". "mail %s" also works, but I like "smail %s"
better. Popclient works great with this change. I just run popclient,
then read my mail using my favorite mail reader.

POP mail client for linux?

Post by Cobus Theuniss » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 07:14:59

: >The trouble is, the retrieved mail seems to be redirected to /dev/null
: >since I never see it.  If I instead do

: Specify the output file on the command line.   I think this
: is the '-o' option.  Check the fine man page.

: rob

Yes, my pop shell script does the following:

#!/bin/sh

USERNAME=`whoami`
popclient -s -u xxxxx -p yyyyyy -o /var/spool/mail/$USERNAME zzzzz

Hope it helps.
Ciao

<space left blank due to a lack of imagination>      Cambridge, MA, USA
                                                     (617) 374-3613 (W)
                                                           241-3940 (H)

1. Full-featured, reliable POP-mail client for Linux?

I'm running SuSE Linux 6.4, and the KDE 1 and kmail 1.0.28 that came
with it.  kmail (but nothing else) crashes every few days when fetching
POP-mail, freezing X(-windows) and requiring a reboot and fsck; none of
the escapes to text mode work.  It often crashes when fetching spam
containing Big-5 (Chinese) text, but can be killed and restarted.  Worst
of all (in addition to a few more failure modes) it sometimes deletes
mail on its own initiative.  I'd upgrade kmail to its latest version,
but, according to the kmail website, to do that I'd also have to
upgrade to KDE 2, which I'd rather not take the time for at the moment.

I'm seeking recommendations for a POP-mail client that has the features
of kmail -- multiple mbox files ("folders") into which I can move a set
of selected messages from inbox with only a few key- or mouse-strokes,
address book, spam filters, multiple sort modes, attachment and MIME
capability, and compatibility with KDE 1.  It doesn't need a builtin
editor -- I'd be happy to use the one in Midnight Commander.  Most of
all I want it to handle my mail safely, not discarding anything I don't
tell it to (and even having a "trashcan" where it puts mail I do tell it
to discard, so I can change my mind).  I'd like one that can check at
least one POP-mail account automatically every few minutes (without
crashing, of course).

I'm very leery of kmail at this point, but I guess I'd be ok with a later
version that's known to have fixed these problems, and works with KDE 1.
Eudora or Pegasus Mail would be great, but they've not been ported to
Linux.  I used to use Elm with Unix, but it doesn't have the features
and convenience of kmail or Eudora.  I don't care whether it's X- or
curses-based (I still use lynx when I don't need the features of
Netscape), but I'd rather, e.g., select a destination mbox file from a
menu than type in its name each time.

I could spend a week trying every MUA in linux.davecentral, but reliability
would still be a question.  So I'm asking for recommendations from folks
who've been using a program for at least a couple of months and who know
that it fulfills the above (admittedly long and picky) wishlist.

Heartfelt thanks in advance!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Mouse (gpm) & MC

3. Is there a POP mail client for Linux

4. Using multiple mice

5. POP Mail client for Linux/X-Window

6. RAID - can it work if bad blocks exist

7. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

8. fetchmail & mutt

9. mail pop client for linux

10. Want A Linux POP Mail Client.

11. Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

12. Help & Advice needed: Setting up a POP mail client

13. xmh as POP mail client?????