ThinkPad 700C PS/2 installation: hda error

ThinkPad 700C PS/2 installation: hda error

Post by John T Whel » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 04:03:10

        My attempts to install Linux on my Thinkpad, specifying hard
drive geometry via LILO, have been unsuccessful, stalling in a series
of "hda: request timed out" errors.  I need to get it installed before
I leave town on Friday, so any quick help would be greatly
appreciated.

        I'm trying to install Linux on my IBM ThinkPad 700C PS/2, about
which the Installation HOWTO has the following to say:

  Note to IBM PS/1, ValuePoint, and ThinkPad Users: If you use an IBM
  PS/1, ValuePoint, or ThinkPad machine, the system will not recognize
  your hard drive when you boot the Slackware bootdisk. This is because
  these machines do not store drive geometry information in the CMOS (as
  they should) and you have to specify the geometry by hand when
  booting. (Later you can get around this by installing the LILO
  software, which allows you to boot Linux from the hard drive.)

  You must use a bootdisk other than ``bare'' for this to work.  I
  suggest using scsi.gz. While booting the bootdisk, hold down the left
  shift key. You will be presented with a boot menu which will describe
  how to specify your hard drive geometry (that is, the number of
  cylinders, heads, and sectors per track) for your drive using the hd
  boot option. You can get information on your drive geometry from your
  hard drive manual or by running MS-DOS FDISK.

Which is a little sparse.  (I couldn't find a HOWTO or Mini-HOWTO that
describes this in any more detail.)  I created the scsi bootdisk and

about my hard drive configuration, but MSD told me that I had 65514
cylinders, 62 heads and 240 sectors/track.

        Whether or not I depress the shift key while booting from the
scsi bootdisk, I get the regular LILO boot information and prompt (the
one that starts with "Welcome to the Linux version [whatever]
bootkernel disk!" and ends, a screenful later, with "boot:" If I enter
what I think I'm supposed to, namely "ramdisk hd=65514,62,240", the
following is returned to me, modulo transcription errors, and the
Linux creation date, which I omitted.

Uncompressing Linux... memory is tight... done.
Now booting the kernel
Console: colour EGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Serial driver version 4.00 with no drivers enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A
lp_init: lp0 exists, using polling driver
PS/2 auxilliary pointing device detected -- driver installed
ftape: allocated 3 buffers at: 01e8000
Callibrating delay loop.. ok, 7.16 BogoMips
scsi: 0 hosts
Memory: 1420k/4288k available (722k kernel code, 384k reserved, 1712k data)
This processor honours the WP bit even when in supervisor mode. Good.
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC0 is post-1981 82077
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.017
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.017
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Linux version 1.1.59 [et cetera]
Partition Check:
hda: reset timed out: status=0xff { Busy DriveReady WriteFault SeekComplete Data Request CorrectedError Index Error }
hda: reset timed out: error=0xff { BadSector UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound DriveStatusError TrackZeroNotFound AddMarkNotFound }, CHS=65535/15/255, sector=0
hd: controller still busy
hda: reset timed out: status=0xff { Busy DriveReady WriteFault SeekComplete Data Request CorrectedError Index Error }
hda: reset timed out: error=0xff { BadSector UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound DriveStatusError TrackZeroNotFound AddMarkNotFound }, CHS=65535/15/255, sector=0
hd: controller still busy

And the last three lines repeat until I reboot the computer.  The hard
drive light stays off the entire time.  I've tried "ramdisk
hd=65514,240,62" and "ramdisk hd=65514,62,62" with the same results.

        The memory description seems right, since I have about 4M of
RAM all told.

        I'm trying to share swap space between Linux and MS-windows, so
my hard drive is currently formatted like so:

        30M DOS Primary partition I:, containing 2M uncompressed space and
a MS-DOS 6.22 compressed drive C:
        12M DOS extended partition (FDISK wouldn't let me make a second
primary partition) containing one 12M logical partition D: labelled "SWAP
SPACE"
        ~75M free for Linux

Could this have something to do with my problems?

        If I hit return at the boot prompt, or give it an unmodified
"ramdisk" or "mount" command, the partition check goes okay, and I can
load the root disk and log on as root, but Linux fdisk doesn't
recognize my hard drive, as expected.  If I enter "fdisk", "fdisk
/dev/hda" or "fdisk /dev/hdb" it says "unable to read /dev/hda" or
"unable to read /dev/hdb", respectively.  If I try "fdisk /dev/sda" I
get "unable to open /dev/sda", as if I had entered "fdisk /fubar".

                                                John Whelan
--
        "Every time I look in your eyes, I see St. Peter wave"
                                        -- TMBG, "Dig my Grave"

1. IBM Thinkpad 700C PS/2

Hi!

I read a FAQ saying that Linux can't be installed on this computer.
On the other hand, I know that some people do, and I also heard
that there is a patch someplace which makes the install program
find the hd (which it doesn't do at the moment, unfortunately=

Anyone knows?

/Jokke tmw.
---
 * Origin: FUW95 http://www.efd.lth.se/~d97jro/ (2:200/127.9)

 b?ttre lyss till den s?ng som brast, ?n att aldrig bli p?sp?nd med r?ge

2. Help getting HTTPD and MYSQLD to load and be running at startup without using GNOME menu options with RH9

3. NetBSD on IBM Thinkpad 700c PS/2

4. I still see people using cli()

5. hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC )

6. Socket problem, streaming data

7. hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

8. Need some serious help!!

9. ESDI MCA on a thinkpad 700c

10. fdisk won't recognize a device on IBM Thinkpad 700C

11. IBM Thinkpad 700c

12. IBM Thinkpad 700C

13. Linux on Thinkpad 700C