FlexFax...gngngngngn!

Post by TonyK Lindstro » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 13:27:38

I have a 14,4 kbs faxmodem, Best (Rockwell) and sending and receiveing
faxes works great, but....

I first had problem to use seyon when the faxd was active. It seems
that the faxd removes the lockfile from /var/spool/uucp and sends
the faxinitializationstring to the modem and that makes a mess of the
whole thing....

The solution was to set the "UUCPLockTimeout" to 0 which means, that
the faxd will never remove the lockfile. That procedure is left to
kermit or seyon or whatever you use.

However even though seyon worked perfect I did not get "term" to
work with faxd active. Nothing happened after I started the remote
term, quitted seyon without* up and started the local term.
AND there WAS a lockfile in /var/spool/uucp all the time that should
protect the connection from that evil faxd...EVIL?

No t<putyourtermapplicationhere>:s worked. No error messages no nothing.

If I kill faxd before starting seyon everything works well.

Well thats not a huge problem, one could always kill faxd before
starting any terminal-applications and start it again when you
are done, BUT the problems did not stop there...:-(

When I tried the call my own machine from outside the fun just started...
I have AdaptiveAnswer "yes" and AnswerRotary "fax data" and AnswerBias "1".

I got a connection with this 9600 modem but after the
"CONNECT 9600"-message the silly thing sends the faxinitialisationstring
to my dialup-terminal???? And it sends it over and over again until
I gets fed up and hang up.

This was in the morning.. when I came home in the evening I discovered
from the logfile, that faxd had tried to answer calls without anybody even
calling, about every 2-3 minutes and it was still doing it. When
I picked the phone up during one of these sessions I found that, yes,
the faxmodem was sending a "faxcarrier" or whatever it is called. At least
it did not make any outgoing calls or I would have been ruined..;-)

So, for about 9 hours about 24 times/hour  urf...

I killed faxd, sent some atz:s to the modem, started the faxd again
and everything seemed fine again....

But I must have missed something...WHAT?

FlexFax seems to be a very flexible program and I think I would
like it, but is it too flexible for me?

--

Enjoying Linux since october 1994 (current v. 1.1.64)................!

FlexFax...gngngngngn!

Post by Ric » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 09:49:26

>I first had problem to use seyon when the faxd was active. It seems
>that the faxd removes the lockfile from /var/spool/uucp and sends
>the faxinitializationstring to the modem and that makes a mess of the
>whole thing....
>The solution was to set the "UUCPLockTimeout" to 0 which means, that
>the faxd will never remove the lockfile. That procedure is left to
>kermit or seyon or whatever you use.

The real solution is to recompile flexfax with `Type of lock file' set
to `binary'.  By default, flexfax uses ASCII lock files (as UUCP and
minicom do), and the binary lockfiles from kermit and seyon get treated
as stale by faxd and are removed.

If you haven't got the latest source, have a look at sgi.com in
sgi/fax/source/v2.3beta036special.tar.gz.

Quote:>This was in the morning.. when I came home in the evening I discovered
>from the logfile, that faxd had tried to answer calls without anybody even
>calling, about every 2-3 minutes and it was still doing it. When

Don't know what happened here.  Try the latest version with proper
locking and see what happens.

Rick.
--
Rick "JT" Lyons   | The above bytes don't | Usenet before net uses you.
Telecom Australia | represent the views or| C/C++/x86/X/Unix/DOS/Novell