Mapping keys other than the function keys

Mapping keys other than the function keys

Post by Jason Kolosei » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 23:37:18

The main reason I have Linux installed at home, is to give me the capability
to take my work (UNIX application development) home.

At work, I have access to several types of UNIX platforms, and exclusivly use
vi. Under these enviroments, I map vi to use the keypad for special functions:
   - Save, Quit, Next File.
   - Cut and paste to named buffers.
   - Read in module, function templates

I would like to have the same functionality at home. The keyboard map under
Linux only provides the ability to program the function keys.

Does anyone know how I can simulate a DEC style keyboard or program keys
other that the function key?
This would also be handy when I get a modem, and use the machines at
work via telnet.

Will I have to resort to altering the source code?

Thank you

                  \     /
  +---------+   +--\---/--+
  |         |   |   \ /   |     In the game of life,
  | s a v e |   | l oXa d |      you can't load your
  |         |   |   / \   |      saved games.
  +---------+   +--/---\--+
                  /     \

Post by Andries Brouw » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 09:58:39

: I would like to have the same functionality at home. The keyboard map under
: Linux only provides the ability to program the function keys.

Who says that? That may have been the case years ago,
and the present syntax may remind of that old situation,
but these days all keys are equivalent, and you can
program your "A" or CapsLock key to produce any string you want.
Use loadkeys.

1. How to map keys (COPY, PASTE) into F7 or F8 keys

Hi

  I work on a SUN workstation that have the COPY and PASTE key on
the left side of my SUN keyboard.

  I will be force to change to a WYSE workstation with a keyboard like PC
that doesn't have the COPY & PASTE key.
The WYSE will be connected directly to a big SUN unix machine.

  How can I map the COPY & PASTE key into my F10 key (or anything else)
and put these values in my .ttyswrc file.

Thanks in advance

Stephan

2. nfs

3. How to change key map for tab key

4. Newbie Stumped: OS to HardDrive w/o floppy or cd boot

5. Mapping SUN's F12 key to as400 F12 key

6. AIX 3.1 termcap entry for aixterm

7. Mapping two key sequences to one key?

8. PS/2 Mouse Screws X

9. How do I map Compose key to a ctrl-key combo?

10. How to map keys (COPY, PASTE) into F7 or F8 keys

11. How to map keys (COPY, PASTE) into F7 ou F8 key?

12. mapping sparc keys to x86 keys in cde (sun faq 1543-02)

13. Function keys under X-Windows: Why do the generate the keys they do?