Problem building glibc.. please help.

Post by Kenneth P. Turv » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[I don't think this article made it past my ISP's NNTP server, so I am
going to try again... socket.com seems to have worked out their problems.]

I have been trying to build glibc from source with the
crypt, localedata, and linuxthreads packages.  I have been following
the guide located at
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ANNOUNCE-2.0-linux.html (very
helpful), and I have run into a bit of a problem.

I am at the point where I actually run make and I have received
several errors.

1) The first time I ran it I got the error "-lc: file not found", so I
believe that glibc needed to old libc to build.. no problem.  I set
the CFLAGS environment variable to:

-O2 -I- -I/usr/i586-linuxlibc5/include -L/usr/i586-linuxlibc5/lib

That solved the first problem..

2) After setting the environment variable as above I ran configure
again and received the following error:

checking installed Linux kernel header files... TOO OLD!
configure: error: GNU libc requires kernel header files from
Linux 2.0.10 or later to be installed before configuring.
The kernel header files are found usually in /usr/include/asm and
/usr/include/linux; make sure these directories use files from
Linux 2.0.10 or later.  This check uses <linux/version.h>, so
make sure that file was built correctly when installing the kernel header
files.

Well, whose to argue with configure and I needed to upgrade my kernel
anyway (it was 2.0.29 at this point, I assumed that some headers were
fouled up).  I upgraded the kernel to 2.0.31.  I didn't patch the old
one; I started with a fresh copy of the source and configured it.

3) After getting the kernel built, and starting from scratch on
building glibc, I ran into problem (1) above (-lc missing) again,  I
used the same solution.

4) I am now having the same problem (2) again.  My kernel upgrade went
off without a hitch and everything is running fine.

Problem building glibc.. please help.

Post by Kenneth P. Turv » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I fear you've misunderstood Uli's notes. Let me state again what you
>should do:

>- configure glibc with e.g.
>  mkdir build; ../configure --prefix=/usr \
>  --enable-add-ons=crypt,linuxthreads,localedata
>- build glibc with just make
>- (if you like: test glibc with: make check)
>- move /usr/lib and /usr/include out of your way
>- install glibc with make install

>If you did it in exactly that order I don't understand your errors -
>otherwise I'd would urge you to reverse everything and start from the
>top.

You were correct.  I did misunderstand Uli's notes.  I was moving
/usr/lib and /usr/include out of the way before building glibc.  I did
think that was a bit odd, but looking at his notes again, they still
seem to indicate that.

In any case, his notes are quite helpful, and glibc is building now.
Thank you for your help.

--

Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced
with surprising effectiveness.  A genuinely unfashionable opinion is

Problem building glibc.. please help.

Post by Andreas Jaege » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi Kenneth,

looking at your article, I'm puzzled since you're the first one with
these problems AFAIK.

I fear you've misunderstood Uli's notes. Let me state again what you
should do:

- configure glibc with e.g.
  mkdir build; ../configure --prefix=/usr \
  --enable-add-ons=crypt,linuxthreads,localedata
- build glibc with just make
- (if you like: test glibc with: make check)
- move /usr/lib and /usr/include out of your way
- install glibc with make install

If you did it in exactly that order I don't understand your errors -
otherwise I'd would urge you to reverse everything and start from the
top.

Btw. you might also want to have a look at
http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/ for more details about upgrading
to glibc.

Andreas
--

    http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~ajaeger/

Problem building glibc.. please help.

Post by Kenneth P. Turv » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[Snip]

Quote:>- configure glibc with e.g.
>  mkdir build; ../configure --prefix=/usr \
>  --enable-add-ons=crypt,linuxthreads,localedata
>- build glibc with just make
>- (if you like: test glibc with: make check)
>- move /usr/lib and /usr/include out of your way
>- install glibc with make install

>If you did it in exactly that order I don't understand your errors -
>otherwise I'd would urge you to reverse everything and start from the
>top.

>Btw. you might also want to have a look at
>http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/ for more details about upgrading
>to glibc.

O.K., Glibc is up and working.  I tested it and everything seems to be
fine, unfortunately I can no longer compile using libc5.  I believe I
have found the error.  When I moved the libraries from /usr/lib to
/usr/i586-linuxlibc5, I moved all of the *.so, *.so.*, and *.a files
into the directory /usr/i586-linuxlibc5/lib.  I did not move any .o
files.  Based on the directions I was following this did not seem to
be a problem.

Now, based on the Glibc Howto document, this does seem to be a
problem.  Some of my .o files were overwritten.

Would this cause the problems I am having compiling using libc5?  If
so, where can I get the necessary file to make libc5 usable again?

Thanks for your help,

--

The illegal we do immediately.  The unconstitutional takes a bit longer.
        -- Henry Kissinger

Problem building glibc.. please help.

Post by Alister van Tonde » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am using RedHat 4.1 with the 2.0.27 kernel.

I need to set up some user accounts to login automatically execute the
login script without having to supply any password.  I use this to
automatically login to a remote host.

     The user logs in from a his PS using:
           telnet hostname -l username
    e.g.   telnet remoteHost -l gotoRemoteHost

This should permit the user to execute the LOGIN script without having to
supply a password.

To do so I deleted the password within the /etc/password file.
This works fine with an older slackware 1.2.13 kernel and system.

With the 2.0.27 kernal (REDHAT) the user is still prompted to supply a
password.  If you just press ENTER, the login script is executed
automatically.

      HOW CAN I AVOID BEING PROMPTED FOR A PASSWORD????

--
Regards,

     /--\lister      Telephone: +27-21-96-5171

Problem building glibc.. please help.

Post by David Fette » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using RedHat 4.1 with the 2.0.27 kernel.

It would be a good idea to upgrade the kernel to 2.0.32 with the F00F patch.
http://www.kernel.org/

Quote:> I need to set up some user accounts to login automatically execute the
> login script without having to supply any password.  I use this to
> automatically login to a remote host.

You have a security hole that you can throw a dog through sideways.

What task are you actually trying to accomplish?

Quote:>       HOW CAN I AVOID BEING PROMPTED FOR A PASSWORD????

Not a good strategy.  What exactly are you trying to do?

--
            David Fetter         888 O'Farrell Street Apt E1205

  http://www.best.com/~dfetter     +1 415 567 2690 (voice)

Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise anyone who
receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear and certain, must
be exceedingly simple-minded...
                                       Plato
                                       _Phaedrus_

Post by Don Faulkne » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I am using RedHat 4.1 with the 2.0.27 kernel.

>I need to set up some user accounts to login automatically execute the
>login script without having to supply any password.  I use this to
>automatically login to a remote host.

>     The user logs in from a his PS using:
>           telnet hostname -l username
>    e.g.   telnet remoteHost -l gotoRemoteHost

>This should permit the user to execute the LOGIN script without having to
>supply a password.

>To do so I deleted the password within the /etc/password file.
>This works fine with an older slackware 1.2.13 kernel and system.

>With the 2.0.27 kernal (REDHAT) the user is still prompted to supply a
>password.  If you just press ENTER, the login script is executed
>automatically.

>      HOW CAN I AVOID BEING PROMPTED FOR A PASSWORD????

>--
>Regards,

>     /--\lister      Telephone: +27-21-96-5171

Your Red Hat system is probably using PAM with shadow passwords.
Essentially, the "real" password is stored somewhere besides /etc/passwd.
This makes it less suceptable to cracking.

Check /etc for a pam.conf and a pam.d directory. The configuration is
controlled from there. I'm not a PAM expert, but I know that I like it
features. It's documentation is on my (VERY LONG) reading list.

I am curious about exactly what you are trying to do here. If your users are
already used to typing an extended telnet command, what's wrong with a
password? Is this a shared account? What is the purpose of this login script
you're wanting to run?

If you're wanting a way to run a set of commands remotely, there are better
ways. Look into rexec & rsh. You can also use samba to execute shell scripts
remotely, although you may run into problems with effective user id's there.

In short, please be careful when you take passwords off your system. They're
there for a reason!
--
Don Faulkner                           Corprotech, Inc.
(501) 973-9500

http://www.corprotech.com