Setup Dual Boot Linux/Windows 2000 Server

Setup Dual Boot Linux/Windows 2000 Server

Post by Fred Zimmerm » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 04:48:04

If I want to set up a new PC with Dual boot
for Linux, and Windows 2000 Server, how do
I do this?

Are there any articles available explaining
details of installation process?  Has anyone
done this, and had problems you had to work
out?  What are the open issues, and available
work arounds to fix these problems?

Thanks,

Setup Dual Boot Linux/Windows 2000 Server

Post by Jonathan Glas » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:51:38

This is covered fairly well at www.linuxdoc.org, or www.linuxhelp.org... but
the short version is:

Install Win2K first.  Create partitions for Windows, and install it there.
Don't use the Win2K's installer to create the Linux partitions...

After installing Win2K, do a custom install (I use RedHat) of Linux to avoid
the Linux installer from formatting all your partitions, install LILO in the
MBR, and choose to add the Win2K boot partition as another OS (i labeled it
"dos").  Create all your partitions and finish the install.  It should boot
to the LILO: prompt.  To run Win2K type "dos" and hit enter.  To run Linux,
type "linux" and press enter.

If you'd like to see my lilo.conf file to see how this works, reply via
email, and I'll send it to you.

Jonathan Glass

> If I want to set up a new PC with Dual boot
> for Linux, and Windows 2000 Server, how do
> I do this?

> Are there any articles available explaining
> details of installation process?  Has anyone
> done this, and had problems you had to work
> out?  What are the open issues, and available
> work arounds to fix these problems?

> Thanks,

Setup Dual Boot Linux/Windows 2000 Server

Post by stephen co » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:18:41

The Suse 7.2 distribution automatically does this for you. Also, it creates
a boot disk. But, you do have to install Windows 2000 first.

stephen cox

Quote:> This is covered fairly well at www.linuxdoc.org, or www.linuxhelp.org...
but
> the short version is:

> Install Win2K first.  Create partitions for Windows, and install it there.
> Don't use the Win2K's installer to create the Linux partitions...

1. Setup Dual Boot Linux/Windows 2000 Server

If I want to set up a new PC with Dual boot
for Linux, and Windows 2000 Server, how do
I do this?

Are there any articles available explaining
details of installation process?  Has anyone
done this, and had problems you had to work
out?  What are the open issues, and available
work arounds to fix these problems?

Thanks,

2. VNCserver+FreeBSD-4.3??

3. Removing a package from linux?

4. dual boot linux and windows 2000 server

5. LAST command Dates and times are all off

6. Windows 2000 server and Linux as a dual boot

7. problem using full duplex voice communication via modem ??

8. Dual boot Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Linux 7.2 / 7.3

9. Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000

10. dual boot redhat and Windows 2000 Server

11. Dual boot Linux & Windows 2000 - large disk

12. Dual Booting Linux and Windows 2000