Term 1.08 one way (with 16550A)

Post by JASON POWELL RHO » Sat, 06 Nov 1993 02:02:35

Hi,

I have some Term problems. I have a 14.4k modem.  I am able to make a 38.4k
connection with the Decstations at work.  If I set baudrate to 2400 in the
termrc file, everything works.  I can start term, run trsh, txconn, set the
DISPLAY, and start X programs.  Tupload works in both directions.
If I set baudrate to anything higher than 2400 (ie 2401),  I can still start
term, run trsh, txconn, and set up the DISPLAY, but I can't run any X stuff.
Tupload works from remote to local, but not from local to remote.
All I get under either failure is "timed out at x trans y" and y keeps going
up.  One odd thing is that when I try to start an X prog (xclock for ex.), the
send and receive light flicker for a second, then nothing and the timed out
messages start.
I bought a serial card with 16550A's on it since several people suggested that
was the problem, but it didn't change a bit.  The ports are recognized as 16550's on bootup.  As a test, I sent a file from remote to local using zmodem, and
sure enough, it did not drop characters when the machine sync'ed.  However,
it did have lots of problems sending a gzipped file.  I have a feeling that
the two problems are somehow related.
I believe everything is escaped correctly, I know
it is an 8 bit line, baudrate is not set too high.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
Do I have to put the modem in some strange mode before dialing in?  What combo
of v42, MNP, handshaking, etc seem to work?
My system:
        14.4k external Turbomodem Plus
        16550A Uarts
        kernel .99pl13
        Term 1.08
Thanks
Jason

Term 1.08 one way (with 16550A)

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 04:31:59

 >Hi,

 >I have some Term problems. I have a 14.4k modem.  I am able to make a 38.4k
 >connection with the Decstations at work.  If I set baudrate to 2400 in the
 >termrc file, everything works.  I can start term, run trsh, txconn, set the
 >DISPLAY, and start X programs.  Tupload works in both directions.
 >If I set baudrate to anything higher than 2400 (ie 2401),  I can still start
 >term, run trsh, txconn, and set up the DISPLAY, but I can't run any X stuff.
 >Tupload works from remote to local, but not from local to remote.
 >All I get under either failure is "timed out at x trans y" and y keeps going
 >up.  One odd thing is that when I try to start an X prog (xclock for ex.), the
 >send and receive light flicker for a second, then nothing and the timed out
 >messages start.
 >I bought a serial card with 16550A's on it since several people suggested that
 >was the problem, but it didn't change a bit.  The ports are recognized as 16550's on bootup.  As a test, I sent a file from remote to local using zmodem, and
 >sure enough, it did not drop characters when the machine sync'ed.  However,
 >it did have lots of problems sending a gzipped file.  I have a feeling that
 >the two problems are somehow related.
 >I believe everything is escaped correctly, I know
 >it is an 8 bit line, baudrate is not set too high.  Any help would be
 >greatly appreciated.
 >Do I have to put the modem in some strange mode before dialing in?  What combo
 >of v42, MNP, handshaking, etc seem to work?
 >My system:
 >   14.4k external Turbomodem Plus
 >   16550A Uarts
 >   kernel .99pl13
 >   Term 1.08
 >Thanks
 >Jason

The symptoms you describe are classic ones of a lack or failure of hardware
handshaking.  Something in the chain is not properly handling rts/cts flow
control.  It could be the remote modem, the modem cluster (or the serial
port if it is directly connected) or your local modem.  The most important
setting is at&\q3 on the 3 v.32bis modems I have access to.  CD should
track, usually at&c something. 1 ?  I set it at&c3 to reset the modem each
time it hangs up.  There is a possibility that the person who set up the
dialin did not set it right, but make sure you understand the settings on
your end first.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and sendmail maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

1. term 1.08 && v.42bis => !work

I've use term happily for several months with a clean 2400 bps connection
(no escapes, id est), and recently discovered that the modems I connect to
can support v.42bis, which should at least slightly improve my throughput.
I'm using v.42bis now without term.

I tried using term, but I've failed to make it work. I know term 1.08
defaults to 2400 bps, and I'd set the interface speed to 19.2k on my modem,
so I started term on the remote end with no flags and then jumped back and
used 'term -s 19200 >/dev/modem </dev/modem'. trsh just gave me noise, and
when I'd try to reconnect and 000000-out of the remote end, it'd be locked up.
When I try to dial back into that modem, I get a long, never-ending string of
~?'s.

I've tried several different interface speeds, including 9600 and 4800,
and started term at those speeds on the remote end each time. All for nought.
All it seems to do is lock up a modem (our terminal server is stupid). The
odd thing is that using the connection without term is very clean and
workable. Noticeably faster than with v.42bis.

Is there some way to change the default interface speed in linux for the modem
device? I think this must have ought to do with it, as you can copy things
to /dev/modem and they always seemed to go out fine at 2400 bps, but I know
that has to be set somewhere. Where? How do I change it? And why does term
seem to lock up on the remote end with the 0's?

Thanks. Reply here or via email.

 - Mark

--
Mark R. Lindsey          [][] South Georgia Digital Research Institute

2. need help in making a bootable floppy

3. Help: cannot get term 1.08 to work

4. Can't install MS-DOS back !

5. Term 1.08 + what ftp?

6. MySQL and RedHat 5.0 on Alpha

7. Term 1.08 (blocking?)

8. case-insensitive pattern matching in awk

9. Term 1.08 Hangs/Fails

10. Term 1.08 sends nothing to remote host

11. term 1.08 problem (modem hangs)

12. Term 1.08 Hanging

13. Slackware 1.10, XFree86-2.0, Term 1.08 problem