Slip help!

Post by Josh Titl » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 15:52:55

 have a problem with slip. I can ftp or telnet only if I sypply the
IP name. As soon as it a has to resolve names, it waits 30 secs, and then says
something like node doesn't exists. I can connect, but can't resolve. I've
setup my resolv.conf file as:
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and my host.conf file as:
order bind, hosts
multi on

Any ides on how I can solve this problem?

- Josh
nyx10.cs.du.edu

1. SLIP is not [C]SLIP -- help?

Hello there,

I am trying to get [C]SLIP working on our Linux machine here in the office.

The machine is on the office ethernet (140.145.235.X) which is connected to the
internet as a whole. We have a seperate subnet for our [C]SLIP and PPP connections
(140.145.237.X). The PPP side of things works great, however some of our staff do
not have a PPP option, but instead need to use SLIP or CSLIP.

Using, say Winsock on a PC, I can connect and run dip, but what it talks is
not [C]SLIP.

My entry in /etc/diphosts looks like this:

msteed-slip::140.145.237.1:140.145.235.2:netmask::SLIP,1500
msteed-cslip::140.145.237.1:140.145.235.2:netmask::CSLIP,1500

And I am using dip-3.3.7m.

Everything (routing info., interface etc.) gets setup correctly, but when I try and
start [C]SLIP up on these other machines nothing happens.

We have also tried using SLIP and CSLIP from Mac's and other UNIX machines with
no success. All the PPP clients work fine. The SLIP and CSLIP clients on these
machine work fine if I talk to a HP9000 in the office using SLIP, which leads
me to believe the problem is with the Linux side of things.

Can anyone help??

Thanks,
        Martin

2. PPP slow connection with 28.8 modem