Help Please with video for linux zoran (Buz) kernel driver

Help Please with video for linux zoran (Buz) kernel driver

Post by Karl and Tanya Pizzolatt » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:58:04

I am attempting to configure my kernel (2.4.18) to support the iomega buz
card, which uses chip(s) by zoran for hardware MPEG (en/de)coding.

It seems like this is part of the 2.4 kernel, but where do I go in make
menuconfig to enable support for the zoran chipsets?  I have researched the
drivers on the net, and this is what I have learned so far:

In the file "cvs-latest-driver-zoran.tar", I read the following

"Besides the files in this directory, the driver needs the 'videodev'
and the 'i2c' module from the Linux kernel (i2c-old for 2.4 kernels).
In order to get these modules available, enable module support for
VIDEODEV and BTTV (which implies i2c) in your 2.2.x kernel
configuration. You will find these devices in the menu "Character
Devices" in your Kernel Configuration.

In newer kernels (2.4) instead of BTTV you should enable support for
Iomega Buz cards and for Zoran 36060/36067 chipset. This will include
i2c or i2c-old modules and Buz/LML33 driver. However, instead of
modules for Buz/LML33 driver from the kernel, use modules from _this_
driver."

Apparently, you're supposed to build these kernel drivers as modules, then
make make install the downloaded driver, which overwrites the ones you just
made.  Or maybe copy over the files into the source tree first, then make?
Either way:

I haven't yet found where to enable these items when I run make menuconfig!
When I run make menuconfig, all I see under Multimedia/Video For Linux/ is:
[ ]   V4L information in proc filesystem (new)
--- Video Adapters
< >   Mediavision Pro Movie Studio Video For Linux (NEW)
< >   QuickCam Colour Video for Linux (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
< >   W9966CF * (FlyCam Supra and others) Video For Linux (NEW)
< >   CPiA Video For Linux (NEW)
< >     CPiA Parallel Port Lowlevel Support (NEW)
< >   Stradis 4:2:2 MPEG-2 video driver (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)

Most of the files (except things like README, chipsets.h, update) that come
in the cvs-latest... already appear in the 2.4.18 source tree under
/usr/src/linux/drivers/media/video.  Especially the zoran stuff (which I
understrand I need for the Buz).

      Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:58:04 GMT
 Newsgroup: comp.os.linux.help
Partial reproduction follows:

Quote:> I am attempting to configure my kernel (2.4.18) to support the iomega
> buz card, which uses chip(s) by zoran for hardware MPEG (en/de)coding.
> It seems like this is part of the 2.4 kernel, but where do I go in
> make menuconfig to enable support for the zoran chipsets?

I see it under Multimedia/Video for Linux; 2.4.19-rc1.

Ah. Go to Character Devices, I2C Support, and make sure you've enabled
the appropriate options (I have the whole lot set to module,  and if I
disable I2C support the options under Multimedia/VfL disappear).
--
Mike.  /* remove "-spam" to mail me */