X & Logitech "First Mouse" (3-button)

Post by Richard Schennbe » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 02:26:40

1.  What are good settings in an Xconfig file for a Logitech
3-button mouse?

2.  I think my mouse is behaving erratically and slowly because
my Linux boot includes a program that enables cut and paste by
mouse in non-x applications.  I selected it when I installed
Linux, but I do not know the name of the program.  What files
does Linux reference when it boots?
I try to tell the truth.  This may not coincide with university policy!
Richard Paul Schennberg                      FAX ==> 606-273-6196

Post by Bill Hog » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 14:40:36

: 1.  What are good settings in an Xconfig file for a Logitech
: 3-button mouse?

: 2.  I think my mouse is behaving erratically and slowly because
: my Linux boot includes a program that enables cut and paste by
: mouse in non-x applications.  I selected it when I installed
: Linux, but I do not know the name of the program.  What files
: does Linux reference when it boots?
: --

  If FirstMouse works like Mouseman, then

        selection -t ms &

in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local (bootup) script, and

        MouseMan        "/dev/mouse"
          baudrate      1200
          chordmiddle

in your /usr/X386/lib/X11/Xconfig might be worth trying (works with my
MouseMan).

  Bill

P.S. On your last question, you might start by printing out the 'inittab'
man page and using it to make sense out of your /etc/initiab file.

--
  Bill Hogan

Post by cloister be » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 11:15:49

>1.  What are good settings in an Xconfig file for a Logitech
>3-button mouse?

i also have a logitech first mouse.  here are my settings in my XConfig file:

# mouse definitions
microsoft     "/dev/mouse"
baudrate      1200

my samplerate is commented out, as is the emulate3buttons line.  so long as
your /dev/mouse points to the correct serial port, it should work fine.

Quote:>2.  I think my mouse is behaving erratically and slowly because
>my Linux boot includes a program that enables cut and paste by
>mouse in non-x applications.

that is possible.  i chose not to use that utility and i haven't had any
problems.

--
+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

1. Mouse Systems 3-button "PS/2 Mouse" - Will it Work?

I just purchased a Mouse Systems 3-button PS/2 Mouse to replace a 2-button
mouse (the user couldn't stand using chorded middle).

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work with either gpm or Xree86.  The
mouse will move up and to the right, but simply jumps when you attempt to
move left or down.  I mostly tried /dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux, but the other
options (/dev/inportbm, etc. don't seem to work, either).

It's not a hardware problem, as the mouse works fine under Win95.  I'm
beginning to suspect and incompatibility with the linux PS/2 mouse driver.

Does anyone have any ideas/experience?

Also, I can't get test-mouse to work with ANY mouse I have, most of which
work fine with gpm and XFree86.  Anyone else?

2. Manpage Duplication

3. Imsi 3-button "Pet" Mouse

4. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

5. "Microsoft compatible" 3-Button Mouse -- How X-config ??

6. boot0: error 10

7. LinuxPPC 2000 doesn't like 3-button "Trust AMI mouse USB"

8. gas: can't convert hello.c/hello.s to anything useful!!

9. "hardware" fix to set 3-button serial mouse mode

10. Is a "wheel" mouse possible in RH 5.2 - Logitech First Mouse +

11. Using Logitech 3 button mouse, as a Logitech 3 button mouse.

12. logitech "First Mouse"