new user

Post by Lui » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:47:37

from a terminal session using red hat 8 server gui mode, how do i add
a new user and how do i give the new user a password?

thanks

new user

Post by jbuch.. » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:11:37

> from a terminal session using red hat 8 server gui mode, how do i add
> a new user and how do i give the new user a password?
> thanks

Stop multiposting!

--

=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================
"Interested in tautologies? Here's one for you: All the trademarks

new user

Post by mjt » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:40:38

> from a terminal session using red hat 8 server gui mode, how do i add
> a new user and how do i give the new user a password?

... use the user administration tool

new user

Post by Anithen N » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:53:31

[snip]

Quote:> Stop multiposting!

What is multiposting?  I'm new to usenet, and don't want to offend anyone
by doing something wrong, such as 'multiposting.'
        And no, I'm not playing "dumb," in an attempt to irk anyone.
--
      _
      ._.

new user

Post by mjt » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:20:40

> What is multiposting?  I'm new to usenet, and don't want to offend anyone
> by doing something wrong, such as 'multiposting.'

.... x-posting means you've posted an article to more than one NG
(all at once, when you compose the article). multi-posting means
you posted the same article to multiple NG's, but you've sent the
article to each of the groups individually (actually sent the
same article, say, three different times ... each time to another
NG).

news clients will pick up the fact that some article is xposted
and mark the article as "read" when you move to the subsequent
NG's. the news client CANT do it when you multi-post, which means
we have to read (or mark read) the duplicate article XXX times.
it also means, in some cases, that USENET assistants will not
answer your questions, since you've caused some grief (and arent
following the rules).

new user

Post by Anithen N » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:53:11

>> What is multiposting?  I'm new to usenet, and don't want to offend
>> anyone by doing something wrong, such as 'multiposting.'

> .... x-posting means you've posted an article to more than one NG (all
> at once, when you compose the article). multi-posting means you posted
> the same article to multiple NG's, but you've sent the article to each
> of the groups individually (actually sent the same article, say, three
> different times ... each time to another NG).

> news clients will pick up the fact that some article is xposted and mark
> the article as "read" when you move to the subsequent NG's. the news
> client CANT do it when you multi-post, which means we have to read (or
> mark read) the duplicate article XXX times. it also means, in some
> cases, that USENET assistants will not answer your questions, since
> you've caused some grief (and arent following the rules).

Thanks alot.
        Now I know exactly what multiposting is.  I can see how it'd be useful
sometimes, but rules are rules; also, retaliating against those who
multipost is a must these days, due to the horrible *ing spamming that
goes on here.
        I HAD NO IDEA so much spam was on USENET, everyone, and thought it's
problems would differ from IRC's problems.  It's worse than IRC,
matter-of-factly--I enter a Dog Training group, and I see thousands of
articles about *, the male/female anatomy, and <insert random,
pointless spam>.
--
      _
      ._.

Post by Anithen N » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:58:19

>> from a terminal session using red hat 8 server gui mode, how do i add a
>> new user and how do i give the new user a password?

>> thanks

> Stop multiposting!

$ useradd theuser;passwd theuser

        And I know how it is to want to ask questions, because it's a better way
to learn cetain linux things, but how can you not know how to do this?
This is the most basic thing for someone who is the administrator of a
linux box.

--
      _
      ._.

Post by mjt » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:48:22

> Now I know exactly what multiposting is.  I can see how it'd be useful
> sometimes, but rules are rules; also, retaliating against those who

... actually, multiposting is NOT useful, but x-posting can be. let
me further clarify: you select "compose new article" in your news
reader. you compose your article. you type in two different NG's,
separated by a comma, say, COLS (comp.os.linux.setup) and COLM
(comp.os.linux.misc), then you select 'send'. the article will get
A SINGLE unique 'message-id' and then it gets posted to both groups,
simultaneously.

OTOH, for multi-posting, you compose the article, only specifying
ONE NGs (say, comp.os.linux.misc), and select 'send'. then you
select, 'new article' and you CNP the text from the just-sent
article to this new article, then specify comp.os.linux.setup
for the destination NG and hit 'send'. in each case, each article
will get a unique message-id, which is NOT traceable to each other.

so, to sum up, there is NO advantage to multi-posting.

Quote:> multipost is a must these days, due to the horrible *ing spamming that
> goes on here.

.... uuuuuuum. you're talking about something else, i think.

Quote:> I HAD NO IDEA so much spam was on USENET, everyone, and thought it's
> problems would differ from IRC's problems.  It's worse than IRC,
> matter-of-factly--I enter a Dog Training group, and I see thousands of
> articles about *, the male/female anatomy, and <insert random,

... okay, now you're talking about the 'Boards, which is different
than USENET, really. we get no spam, well, except the occassional
post, say, once a week. this is USENET, *NOT* a [private] message
board, which is more apt to more get spam.

1. HELP NEW USER NEW TO UNIX EVEN

Ok I am making progress with Linux and from what little I do with it I can tell
I love it.
I am still having trouble mounting my dos portion of my hard drive I try
MOUNT /dev/hda1 /mnt

but that dosen't get it done .

here is my question:

How can I access the files that currently are in my win3.1 and dos partition of
my hard drive.
and
Does anyone use <Hyfax> think thats the name fax for Linux and unix based os ?
thanks
Rich

2. File transfer to netatalk *really* slow

3. New User, New Install, Ridiculously Slow

4. Configuring kernel

5. Sendmail help - alias works for install-created users, does not for new users.

6. TGUI 9660/9680 X installation -- need help!!!

7. User Authentication on the fly (Adding New Users)

8. DOSemu 0.53_35

9. scoadmin -> Account Manager -> Users -> Add New Users breaks /etc/password symlink

10. still a new user -- help with the paste command? still a new user -- help with the (UNIX) paste command?

11. New user, book or site suggestions

12. make new user acount

13. New User - Adaptec 2940 Questions