Downloading POP3 mail from ISP to IMAP server on a Linux box

Downloading POP3 mail from ISP to IMAP server on a Linux box

Post by Peter Dickso » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm about to install a Linux server for a customer who runs Windows 95
clients. It is my first Linux installation so I am trying to prepare myself
as much as possible!

They want network e-mail access and my research has generated a lot of
information. I'm pretty sure I want to configure the Linux box as an IMAP
server but am not 100% about fetching files from the ISP's multi-drop POP3
server.

I'm slightly confused about the different functionality of qmail,
fetchmail, procmail, fetchpop etc. What should I do on my server to
download POP3 mail from the ISP and allow the Win95 clients to read mail on
the IMAP server?

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a web-site, FAQ, HOWTO?

TIA for your help.

Peter*son
Kyros Solutions
Birmingham, UK

Post by YoY » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I'm about to install a Linux server for a customer who runs Windows 95
>clients. It is my first Linux installation so I am trying to prepare myself
>as much as possible!

>They want network e-mail access and my research has generated a lot of
>information. I'm pretty sure I want to configure the Linux box as an IMAP
>server but am not 100% about fetching files from the ISP's multi-drop POP3
>server.

>I'm slightly confused about the different functionality of qmail,
>fetchmail, procmail, fetchpop etc. What should I do on my server to
>download POP3 mail from the ISP and allow the Win95 clients to read mail on
>the IMAP server?

>Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a web-site, FAQ, HOWTO?

I've never set up a system like the one you're talking about, but I have
used fetchmail, and I *believe* that it will do what you want it to. The
fetchmail home page has unusually good documentation, so I'd recommend
hopping over there and giving it a read.

--

     "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."
                                        -Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Post by Joe Ze » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>They want network e-mail access and my research has generated a lot of
>information. I'm pretty sure I want to configure the Linux box as an IMAP
>server but am not 100% about fetching files from the ISP's multi-drop POP3
>server.

Why IMAP?  It keeps all the mail on the server, meaning that users
need permission to read/write their directory as well as taking up
extra space.  POP3 gets it down to their box, off yours and lets them
worry about space instead of you.  I've never seen any real reason for
using IMAP, but there may well be one.  If you really like it, please
let me know; I'd be glad of a chance to learn.

---
Joe Zeff
     The Guy With the Sideburns
If you can't play with words, what good are they?
http://www.lasfs.org

Downloading POP3 mail from ISP to IMAP server on a Linux box

Post by Graham Murra » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Why IMAP?  It keeps all the mail on the server, meaning that users
> need permission to read/write their directory as well as taking up
> extra space.  POP3 gets it down to their box, off yours and lets them
> worry about space instead of you.  I've never seen any real reason for
> using IMAP, but there may well be one.  If you really like it, please
> let me know; I'd be glad of a chance to learn.

I think that IMAP may be better for situations where the user does not
access mail from just system. This includes companies which "hotdesk"
and people travelling and accessing their email from local facilities
wherever they are. Or even the person who works both from the office
and at home. In all of these situations, IMAP allows the user to
re-read (or reply to) email (which is stored on the server) from a
computer other than the one on which (s)he first read it.

Downloading POP3 mail from ISP to IMAP server on a Linux box

Post by Nico Kadel-Garc » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm about to install a Linux server for a customer who runs Windows 95
>clients. It is my first Linux installation so I am trying to prepare myself
>as much as possible!

Good for you! One of the most important things is exactly what you
are doing: assessing what your customer really needs, and the best
tools for the job.

Quote:>They want network e-mail access and my research has generated a lot of
>information. I'm pretty sure I want to configure the Linux box as an IMAP
>server but am not 100% about fetching files from the ISP's multi-drop POP3
>server.

You can use both. POP forces all of the client's mail to be
transferred to the local client: this is really *BAD* for security
reasons, and because most POP clients cannot cope properly with
multiple sources of POP mail. For example, if I have one account at
the main mail server at work, one account at AOL for dialup use, and
one account on the main print server for error messages from that,
using POP tends to mix all that email into one local "INBOX".

Using IMAP lets me very easily have distinct mailboxes for different
sources of email.

Quote:>I'm slightly confused about the different functionality of qmail,
>fetchmail, procmail, fetchpop etc. What should I do on my server to
>download POP3 mail from the ISP and allow the Win95 clients to read mail on
>the IMAP server?

OK. Sendmail is a Mail Transport Agent. It lets a computer accept and
transmit email to other Mail Transport Agents.

Qmail is also a Mail Transport Agent.

Procmail is a filtering and processing system: a Mail Transport Agent
or Mail User Agent can use it to manipulate the email in
user-configurable ways. It is extremely powerful, and one of its most
powerful uses is to separate special email for different
handling. This includes transferring mailing list email to specific
files for reading lall at once, automatically cutting off any site
that sends you a "MAKE MONEY FAST" message, cutting off spam sites, or
automatically sending all email from your ex-wife to your lawyer
instead of making you read it personally.

Fetchmail grabs all the email from a POP or IMAP server and transfers
it to your local machine. It is usually used automatically: it may be
considered a Mail User Agent, duplicating some of the work of a
reconfigured Mail Transport Agent. It lets your users select where
they want to grab their email from without bothering the mail
administrators on their server.

Quote:>Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a web-site, FAQ, HOWTO?

We just did (!). Take a look at the HOWTO sites at rufus.w3.org and
www.redhat.com.

I also do consulting for Linux and security. Let me know if you need
deeper levels of help, especially for modem access.

Downloading POP3 mail from ISP to IMAP server on a Linux box

Post by Nico Kadel-Garc » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Why IMAP?  It keeps all the mail on the server, meaning that users
>need permission to read/write their directory as well as taking up
>extra space.  POP3 gets it down to their box, off yours and lets them
>worry about space instead of you.  I've never seen any real reason for
>using IMAP, but there may well be one.  If you really like it, please
>let me know; I'd be glad of a chance to learn.

Because it is much easier to backup and save critical email on a
master mail server than on 50 machines scattered around the company,
especially for people who may use any one of 20 different shared
workstations.  Also, it lets the users keep the email from different
servers separated when they read it locally, rather than bouncing it
all into a single INBOX where the 500 messages from technical support
complaints may smother the one box from your wife to your private
account saying that dinner will be late tonight....

--

Without all the expostulation...

I run fetchmail to pull the mail off my ISP's pop3 server.  Once the mail
is fetched, it gets pumped into the "delivery" program specified in
sendmai.  If you don't specify anything else, sendmail delivers the
retrieved mail to your unix mailbox.  BUT...with an IMAP server running (I
use cyrus), you configure sendmail to use the IMAP delivery agent to
deliver the mail to the IMAP INBOX of the user.

The cyrus program also comes with it's own pop3 mail server, retrieving
the mail out of the IMAP server INBOX for download if desired by the user.

It is a little tricky setting up, but once you have it running, it is rock
solid.  Mine has been running flawlessly 24/7 for about 4 months on my
FreeBSD installation.

Reading mail only requires an IMAP 'aware' email client.  Netscape
Communicator 4.5 and Eudora Pro 4.0 speak IMAP and have mail filters that
work with the IMAP server.  MS Outlook 97/98 can read mail off an IMAP
server, but the Inbox Assistant (mail filters) cannot be enabled using an
IMAP server configuration.  MS Outlook Express doesn't even give you the
option to use an IMAP server.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I have done a lot of
experimentation with this configuration.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark Grant                          Paradox-box
Building FreeBSD solutions for dynamic IP users

1. how to use emacs mail with ISP pop3 mail server?

hello,

I have linux 2.0.7 (red hat), I have emacs, I got an account with ISP
(earthlink), and would like to use emacs to read my email and do
newsgroup with. But I am not sure how to configure things on linux to
be able to do this. for example, using netscape, I can read my email
and do newsgroups, since on netscape, there is a window where I get to
set up the SMTP and pop3 server names, and my user name on the ISP, so
it is easy to set things up on netscape.  But I'd rather use emacs to
read my email.

I probably need to configer sendmail on linux first? or need to start some
dameon on my PC etc.. any idea where to read about setting email up?

thanks!!
Nasser

2. (RFC)Supermount 2

3. howto: Mail from ISP to my router/server, into a IMAP server

4. Linux Scripting

5. Home POP3 server connect to ISP POP3 server

6. help, no characters on serial ports!

7. Receiving mail to local IMAP server from POP3 accounts

8. Second Parallel Port problems

9. sendmail - local mail delivery to pop3 or imap server

10. pop3 login fails on virtual host imap mail server

11. (newbie) pop3 mail client on pc attached via ethernet to linux pop3 server problems

12. downloading mail from pop3 server into sco