Slackware installer doesn't boot from floppy

Slackware installer doesn't boot from floppy

Post by Don R. Masz » Sat, 11 Jun 1994 04:08:32

On our 386SX system the Slackware installer does not load when the
machine is booted to floppy.  The BIOS loads, floppies are tested,
then the A: drive is hit (first sector is being read?) then silence.
No drive motion, nothing on the screen, the computer is dead.  The
error messages that people are reporting.

System info: Mylex MXS386 motherboard with 386SX-16 + 387, 8 Mb memory
             running Phoenix 4.1.1 BIOS, IDE HD, hercules monochrome monitor

We have the slackware distribution of Linux v1.0 obtained from
sunsite.  Our kernel boot-strap disk is the scsi version with scsi
drivers linked in.  The exact kernel version is hard to find because
it is said to print on boot-up, but we have never seen it.

This same disk was used to install on both a 386DX monochrome system
with an IDE HD and a 486 system, and it still boots fine and the
installer will run on those systems.

A bootable kernel disk also will not boot and has exactly the same
symptoms.

Gurus?

Don Maszle, Marc Singer