newbie

Post by a920.. » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 20:36:53

I have installed LINUX on my 386-40 in order to learn UNIX. That means that I
know little about it. These are my questions:

-Can i use my old 8088-10 Mhz *without* hard disk as a terminal? How?

-Has somebody ported POV Ray 2.0 (or 1.0) to LINUX?

...thanks and happy 94 for everybody.
                                        Peace

newbie

Post by Benjamin Weste Pear » Wed, 19 Jan 1994 12:10:36

The first thing that comes to mind is to run something like DOS on the
8088, and a communications package, with a NULL modem cable.  This
item should be available in most computer stores, and instructions for
making one abound, although I don't know off the top of my head.  This
affords a serial link at about 115200 bps, although the serial port of
the 8088 may well be slower.  Also, it's possible that you could
connect via the parallel port.  You will then simply want a program on
the Linux box that will accept remote logins.  "modem" is one such (I
hope), others are about, check on
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/(something)/communications?

You will not (of course) be able to run Linux on the 8088, but I think
there might be some very old version of PC unix that will run, if you
really want.  I doubt it's worth the trouble.  Run screen when you get
a connection going; at NULL modem speeds, there should be no problem

newbie

Post by Stefan Nehls » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 03:19:07

>I have installed LINUX on my 386-40 in order to learn UNIX. That means that I
>know little about it. These are my questions:
>-Can i use my old 8088-10 Mhz *without* hard disk as a terminal? How?

A small msdos and a terminal emulator should fit on a floppy disk

Stefan

--
---

1. Newbie newbie newbie

Sorry to bother you all but I am not a regular LINUX user. I got myself a
version of a program called "Smoothwall" which turns an old computer system
into a firewall. (although it was a system made of mostly old components I
did put in a brand new hard disk)

When I installed the smoothwall software I didnt know that the embedded
LINUX would place some data on my hard disk's boot sector. I am now left
with a hard disk that cannot be used for a windows installation. Even after
deleting all the non-dos partitions and reformatting the disk it still has
some LINUX hiding away on it.

Can somebody please tell me a way to erase the data on the boot sector so as
to restore the disk to its out-of-the-box condition and ready to use for
windows?

Any assistance will be greatfully accepted

B.G

2. Problem with telnet under AIX - can someone verify this one? This means you IBM!

3. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

4. going from csh to ksh

5. (newbie) makefile question (newbie)

6. Problem starting Stronghold server

7. From a newbie for newbies w/ Modem problems...

8. Generic SCSI/SANE/scanner support yet?

9. newbie: newbie: login problem with Linux Red Hat on IBM A20

10. ksh...newbie alert..newbie alert

11. A ports guide for newbies by a newbie (Gurus check me out !)

12. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

13. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question