how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

Post by Cesar Farel » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user of linux, so please forgive me if this is a
stupid question.

I've noticed in certain X applications, like netscape and xwpe, that my
backspace key works only as a delete key in dialog boxes, etc.

This is a real pain -- how do I map the backspace key to do backspacing?

Thanks,

Cesar Farell

how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

Post by jsake » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've noticed in certain X applications, like netscape and xwpe, that >my backspace key works only as a delete key in dialog boxes, etc.

> This is a real pain -- how do I map the backspace key to do >backspacing?

I'm sure someown out there has a better solution, but this is what I
ended up doing.  I need to be able to switch back and forth.

alias keyback 'xmodmap -e "keycode 22=0xff08"'
alias keydel 'xmodmap -e "keycode 22=0xffff"'

The first defines backspace to be backspace, for say Netscape, and the
second defines it to be delete, for say Emacs.  I can switch back and
forth at will from an xterm.

If anyone does have a better solution, please post it.

jon

how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?

: >
:
: I'm sure someown out there has a better solution, but this is what I
: ended up doing.  I need to be able to switch back and forth.

: alias keyback 'xmodmap -e "keycode 22=0xff08"'
: alias keydel 'xmodmap -e "keycode 22=0xffff"'

: The first defines backspace to be backspace, for say Netscape, and the
: second defines it to be delete, for say Emacs.  I can switch back and
: forth at will from an xterm.

: If anyone does have a better solution, please post it.

: jon

I ran into this problem with Netscape myself some time ago.  I found a
solution on dejanews, but it isn't complete.  If you add the following
lines to your .Xdefaults file your backspace key will work correctly.
Unfortunately your delete key will also function as a backspace.  I
have been meaning to look into this problem for a while, but I just
haven't gotten around to it.  If you come up with a complete solution,
please let me know.  I am sure it is something simple.

*XmText.translations:      #override \
                      <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()
*XmTextField.translations: #override \
                      <Key>osfDelete: delete-previous-character()

--

        Finger my account for PGP key info.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed