Really bizarre printing problem - RH 5.2

Really bizarre printing problem - RH 5.2

Post by Dickie » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:54:54

I have Red Hat 5.2 set up on a 486. Attached to that same machine (on
lp1) is a HP693c inkjet printer. I am running Samba and Netatalk to
provide access to Win and Mac machines respectively. Here's the bizarre
part: I can only print from my Windows machine. I can't print anything
from the Mac or the Linux box. I can't even print anything by accessing
the printer port directly (lptest > lp1 or cat filename > lp1) on the
Linux machine! The best I can get is two or three blank pages from a
single attempt. When I print from the Mac, I get an error message
(printed on the page): "Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in
.putdeviceprops (1488) op_array (486) 0x817b)d4:E". There may be more,
it runs off the page. That sounds like a PostScript error, and may be a
separate issue. Any thoughts?

BTW, I have had this same entire setup working on the same machine in
the past. I did a total re-install, and now I'm having this problem.
Should have left well enough alone! :-) TIA.
Richard