Adaptec 152x controller hangs during disk reads?

Adaptec 152x controller hangs during disk reads?

Post by Randall Re » Wed, 20 Apr 1994 08:57:13

I'm tryng to get my aha1522 and Micropolis 1598-14 (1.2Gb SCSI)
to work with Slackware 1.1.2 (Kernel 1.0) with little luck.
I've seen similar posts here but didn't pay enough attention.
PC is a 386SX-25 ISA w/ 4Mb RAM.

Problem:  I have and ESDI controller and Adaptec aha1522
controllers.  The ESDI is 350Mb and has been working fine for
a couple of weeks.  I just added the Adaptec controller and
recompiled the kernel with aha152x.

I can write date to any on the sda1,2,3,etc (SCSI) partitions
but I can't read it reliably.  Reading any file over a few K causes
the aha5122 controller to lock up (the red light on the controller
stays on).  The CPU is locked.. can't change vitrual consoles
or ctl-alt-del.

I've removed all non-necessary boards from my PC  to see if it
was a conflict ... no luck.  The problem is solid and predictable.

Now this is strange!! If I run DOS I can read and write all over the
disk with no lockups whatsoever (I've even run disk diagnostics).
This seems to point out that it is a software problem in Linux
(I suspect in aha142x).

I know the drive is good because it just came out of a working
Unix box.

Any ideas would be welcome.  I am going to upgrade to an Apatec
1542CF soon and hope the problem will go away.  What could I be doing
wrong?  I didn't see any HD format program in Linux so I used MSDOS
to first format the entire disk.  I then used mkfs to divide it up
into several ext2fs partitions.  DId I forget something?

Thanks.
-Randall

--

Le Groupe Proteus        Uucp: uunet!proteus!randall
Montreal, Quebec CANADA   Voice: +1 514 630 7103,  FAX: +1 514 331 0053

1. Adaptec 152x Controller with Linux

Hello !

I would like to ask if anyone knows someone, who works on a Adaptec
152x-Controller support.

A friend of mine has one (on a local bus board) and we cannot install Linux on
his system. So if anybody knows a solution to his problem, post it here.

(And now for something completely different)

2. ide-scsi seems to hide true scsi devices?

3. Anyone ever write a driver for an Adaptec 152x series controller?

4. ssl imap clients?

5. CAM DRIVER FOR ADAPTEC AIC-6360/152x CONTROLLER

6. SLS a1

7. Problems with Adaptec SCSI HD controller ver 152x

8. Strange (init?) problem: nfsd not run at boot!

9. HELP! Adaptec 152x & SCSI SCSUI disk...

10. NNRPD *HANGS* during connection (read)

11. Disk controller numbers reversed during Jumpstart???

12. Lilo quits upom reading Adaptec 2842a controller

13. HELP: system hangs during mount of remote disks