UDF read\write support for cd writers...

UDF read\write support for cd writers...

Post by Atic » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:05:15

I use Red Hat Linux 7.2 with kernel 2.4.7. Everything works fine other
than my cd writer. When I put an original cd, the cd writer reads it
without any problem, but it doesn't read the cds that I've burned
because UDF read\write is not installed in my computer.

I have HP 8200+ CD writer. Speaking from my Windows operating system
experience, Windows operating system uses DirectCD, which is an
application that installs UDF read\write support for Windows operating
system.

DirectCD is an Adaptec product. I cruised all over the Adaptec website
to check if it had Linux version of DirectCD, but unfortunately, I
couldn't find such application. I've been spending days cruising on the
internet looking for UDF read\write support for Linux without any luck.
I am wondering if anybody has any solution or a suggestion for this
problem.

Thanks.

Post by Magnu » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:50:24

> DirectCD is an Adaptec product. I cruised all over the Adaptec website
> to check if it had Linux version of DirectCD, but unfortunately, I
> couldn't find such application. I've been spending days cruising on the
> internet looking for UDF read\write support for Linux without any luck.
> I am wondering if anybody has any solution or a suggestion for this
> problem.

You have UDF support in the kernel. Maybe you need to re-compile the
kernel.

Mvh Magnus

Post by Atic » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:48:35

>>DirectCD is an Adaptec product. I cruised all over the Adaptec website
>>to check if it had Linux version of DirectCD, but unfortunately, I
>>couldn't find such application. I've been spending days cruising on the
>>internet looking for UDF read\write support for Linux without any luck.
>>I am wondering if anybody has any solution or a suggestion for this
>>problem.

>You have UDF support in the kernel. Maybe you need to re-compile the
>kernel.

>Mvh Magnus

How do I re-compile? I scanned the hard drive and found a compiled
"UDF.O" file in "lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/fs/udf" directory.

Thanks...

Post by Magnu » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:14:55

> How do I re-compile? I scanned the hard drive and found a compiled
> "UDF.O" file in "lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/fs/udf" directory. <br>

Then you already has the module, no need to compile a kernel. You need to
modprobe the module and the mount the the cd with udf filesystem.

Mvh Magnus

Post by Atic » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:16:55

>>How do I re-compile? I scanned the hard drive and found a compiled
>>"UDF.O" file in "lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/fs/udf" directory. <br>

>Then you already has the module, no need to compile a kernel. You need to
>modprobe the module and the mount the the cd with udf filesystem.

>Mvh Magnus

Here is the thing. Ahem!I am very new to Linux, and I've never used
Linux before. I don't even know how to "modprobe" a module. So, how do I
do it?

Post by Magnu » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 05:23:56

> Here is the thing. Ahem!I am very new to Linux, and I've never used
> Linux before. I don't even know how to "modprobe" a module. So, how do I
> do it?

'/sbin/modprobe udf' as root and the module should be loaded, then you need
to mount the CD, take a look at mount, man mount

Mvh Magnus

Post by Atic » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 18:17:10

>> Here is the thing. Ahem!I am very new to Linux, and I've never used
>> Linux before. I don't even know how to "modprobe" a module. So, how do I
>> do it?

> '/sbin/modprobe udf' as root and the module should be loaded, then you
> need to mount the CD, take a look at mount, man mount

> Mvh Magnus

I went into "sbin", and typed "modprobe udf", and then "man mount", and
scrolled down the file, and found the text below toward the end.

Mount for UDF:
gid= Set the default group.
umask= Set the default umask.
uid= Set the default user.
unhide Show otherwise hidden files.
undelete Show undeleted files in lists.
strict Set strict conformance. (unused)
utf8 (unused)
locharset (unused)
bs= Set the block size (may not work unless 2048.)
novrs Skip volume sequence recognition.
session= Set the CDROM session counting from 0. Default: last session
anchor= Override standard anchor location. Default: 256
volume= Override the volumeDesc location. (unused)
partition= Override the partitionDesc location. (unused)
lastblock= Set the last block of the filesystem.
setfile= Override the fileset block location. (unused)
rootdir= Override the root directory location. (unused)

When I typed "lsmod", I got the list below...

Module       Size   Used   by
udf          87376    0   (unused)
sr_mod        5360    1   (autoclean)
emu10k1      49488    0   (autoclean)
soundcore     4464    4   (autoclean) [emu10k1]
binfmt_misc   6416    1
iscsi        21984    0   (unused)
autofs       11520    0   (autoclean) (unused)
8139too      12832    1
appletalk    20912    0   (autoclean)

I reboot the computer, and put a cd that I just burned, and it didn't show
any file on the cd as if the cd were blank. This is really exhausting.
Simple things turn into exhausting hassles in Linux. God, I shouldn't have
taken Microsoft Windows for granted.

Having used Linux for a few weeks, without a doubt, Windows is the best
thing that has ever happened to computers.

Post by henk van der knaa » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 07:50:13

> >> Here is the thing. Ahem!I am very new to Linux, and I've never used
> >> Linux before. I don't even know how to "modprobe" a module. So, how do I
> >> do it?

> > '/sbin/modprobe udf' as root and the module should be loaded, then you
> > need to mount the CD, take a look at mount, man mount

> > Mvh Magnus

> I went into "sbin", and typed "modprobe udf", and then "man mount", and
> scrolled down the file, and found the text below toward the end.

> Mount for UDF:
> gid= Set the default group.
> umask= Set the default umask.
> uid= Set the default user.
> unhide Show otherwise hidden files.
> undelete Show undeleted files in lists.
> strict Set strict conformance. (unused)
> utf8 (unused)
> locharset (unused)
> bs= Set the block size (may not work unless 2048.)
> novrs Skip volume sequence recognition.
> session= Set the CDROM session counting from 0. Default: last session
> anchor= Override standard anchor location. Default: 256
> volume= Override the volumeDesc location. (unused)
> partition= Override the partitionDesc location. (unused)
> lastblock= Set the last block of the filesystem.
> setfile= Override the fileset block location. (unused)
> rootdir= Override the root directory location. (unused)

> When I typed "lsmod", I got the list below...

> Module       Size   Used   by
> udf          87376    0   (unused)
> sr_mod        5360    1   (autoclean)
> emu10k1      49488    0   (autoclean)
> soundcore     4464    4   (autoclean) [emu10k1]
> binfmt_misc   6416    1
> iscsi        21984    0   (unused)
> autofs       11520    0   (autoclean) (unused)
> 8139too      12832    1
> appletalk    20912    0   (autoclean)

> I reboot the computer, and put a cd that I just burned, and it didn't show
> any file on the cd as if the cd were blank. This is really exhausting.
> Simple things turn into exhausting hassles in Linux. God, I shouldn't have
> taken Microsoft Windows for granted.

> Having used Linux for a few weeks, without a doubt, Windows is the best
> thing that has ever happened to computers.

do for example     mount -t udf /dev/hdd /mnt

Henk van der Knaap,
Christchurch 8003,
New Zealand