Reconfiguring/recompiling the kernel

Post by Shawn Matthew Thom » Sun, 22 May 1994 14:12:00

I saw a while back in a thread about recompiling the kernel that one
should take the steps:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zlilo

The last step took especially long when I tried it the first time and am
wondering if I can get away with recompiling the kernel and the system
working OK with just the make config step, or even just the first three
steps.

Thanks for the help...

Shawn.

Reconfiguring/recompiling the kernel

Post by Not in real lif » Sun, 22 May 1994 15:40:56

Quote:>I saw a while back in a thread about recompiling the kernel that one
>should take the steps:

>make config
>make dep
>make clean
>make zlilo

>The last step took especially long when I tried it the first time and am
>wondering if I can get away with recompiling the kernel and the system
>working OK with just the make config step, or even just the first three
>steps.

ummm...., no
those first three steps just set up all the conditions for the last one.
the last one is when you actually create your new kernel
i recommend make zImage, by the way... lilo is easy to use.

Quote:

>Thanks for the help...

you're welcome

Quote: