Running Sony CDU-55E ATAPI CD-ROM

Post by Patrick Lam » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 01:58:20

I've seen a lot of posts about getting the Sony CDU-55E ATAPI CD-ROM drive to work under
Linux.  Since I just got mine running, I thought it might be worthwhile to lay out the
rough spots I encountered.  Those who don't think newbies should be coddled like this,
please direct flames to /dev/nul!

My understanding is that the 1.1.86 kernel was the first to support the CDU-55E.  I used
the 1.1.90 kernel.  The first twist is in the make config procedure.  Be sure to answer
"y" to the questions, "Include new IDE driver for secondary i/f support?" and "Include
support for IDE/ATAPI CDROMS?"

Second twist: after you've made zImage, look for it buried down in the
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot directory.  If you wonder why there is a nice vmlinux image
in the /usr/src/linux directory, where you started (that is too big for LILO), and the
zImage that's small enough to boot is buried like that, well, you're not alone!

The last twist is figuring out where to look for the CD-ROM instructions.  Take a look at
the README.ide file in the /usr/src/linux/drivers/block directory.  Note that you may need
to chmod the referenced MAKEDEV.ide1 script file before running it.  I took the line
        mount /dev/cdrom /cd -t iso9660 -o ro
and put it in a separate mountcd script file.  If you'd prefer to remember the mount command
syntax and flags, feel free!

        Pat

Post by Cain » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 07:19:26

" My understanding is that the 1.1.86 kernel was the first to support the CDU-55E.  I used
" the 1.1.90 kernel.  The first twist is in the make config procedure.  Be sure to answer
" "y" to the questions, "Include new IDE driver for secondary i/f support?" and "Include
" support for IDE/ATAPI CDROMS?"

I'm having the same problem as the previous poster with an NEC MultiSpin
2Vi (model CDR-250).  Through luck, I discovered the above options in the
make config procedure.  However, when I went to boot my new kernel
(1.1.88), I got an infinite loop kind of error.  The same error message
scrolled down my screen while it attempted to read one of my HDs.

I've got two IDE HD's (1st/Master - Western Digital Caviar 420, 2nd/Slave
- Seagate 130) running off the same controller and the CD-ROM, of course,
has its own.

Any clues?

" The last twist is figuring out where to look for the CD-ROM
" instructions.  Take a look at
" the README.ide file in the /usr/src/linux/drivers/block directory.
" Note that you may need
" to chmod the referenced MAKEDEV.ide1 script file before running it.  I
" took the line "     mount /dev/cdrom /cd -t iso9660 -o ro
" and put it in a separate mountcd script file.  If you'd prefer to
" remember the mount command " syntax and flags, feel free!

Noted and copied!  (don't you love cut and paste between virtual
consoles? <grin>)

--
{ John J. Aedo, University of Central Florida, Computer Technomancer }
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers.  We study the mysteries

Post by Alex Sarr » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 01:06:34

: " My understanding is that the 1.1.86 kernel was the first to support the CDU-55E.  I used
: " the 1.1.90 kernel.  The first twist is in the make config procedure.  Be sure to answer
: " "y" to the questions, "Include new IDE driver for secondary i/f support?" and "Include
: " support for IDE/ATAPI CDROMS?"

Did that.....

: " to chmod the referenced MAKEDEV.ide1 script file before running it.  I
: " took the line "   mount /dev/cdrom /cd -t iso9660 -o ro

OK, so I ran the MAKEDEV.ide1 script, I created the entries in /dev/ and then
I thought I should mount it....The error message I get is the following:
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a block device

Huh? Why is that? Am I forgeting something?
Is there something I should add to lilo.conf so that it may detect the
drive correctly? (tried what the README.ide1 says, but no go)
Any help would be appreciated...
(I have the infomagic 3-CD set, and I want to install a number of
packages....without having to get out of linux, get to dos, copy
from the CD to the HD, then back to Linux, and.....aarghh!)

Alexander Sarris         | Everybody wants to go to heaven but
UMCP CS Dept.            |      nobody wants to die.

1. Sony CDU-55E ATAPI CD-ROM hangs under Linux?

First, specifications:

        - Dell Dimension XPS 60 (IDE controller on MB)
        - WD 31000 hard drive as Master
        - Sony CDU-55 2X ATAPI CD-ROM as Slave
        - Number 9 GXE64 Trio64 Video card
        - Soundblaster 16 (no CD-ROM ports)
        - Slackware 2.3 (1.2.8 kernel) with ATAPI support

Now, the problem:

        - At least twice, the CD-ROM has hung during access.
          I start getting timeout errors, IDE reset messages.
          Nothing other than a power cycle seems to fix this.
          The green light turns yellow, and doesn't turn green again.
          I cannot eject the disk.
        - Both times the CD-ROM was under a heavy load (once I was
          copying the contents of the CD-ROM to the HD repeatedly as a
          reliability test, the other was reinstalling Slackware from
          the CD.
        - The first time was with the standard Slackware idecd kernel,
          the second was a kernel customised with sound and no scsi.
        - I haven't run into this under DOS, but then again, I haven't
          used the CD-ROM under DOS as much as under Linux.

Has anyone run into this? Does anyone have any solutions? Am I SOL?
Any debugging suggestions?

Response by both email or posts gratefully accepted!

Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW | Solo la noche sabe que ando oculto

2. BeOS v Linux

3. Soundcard for SOny CDU 55E (IDE ATAPI) CD-ROM

4. i860 data aquisition board

5. SONY CDU-55E CD-ROM Installation?

6. NFS V3 + kernel parameters

7. xmcd chokes on my Sony CDU-55E CD-ROM

8. FreeBSD and NT 4.0 ppp authentication interoperability

9. Driver available for Sony CDU-55E 2X IDE CD-ROM?

10. mnt Sony cdu-55e cd-rom?

11. SETUP and SONY CDU-55E CD rom

12. Support for Sony ATAPI CDU-55E?

13. Atapi Sony CDU-55e